My first French trip

MJ.

Reaction score
I am going to Goncourt(Woods lake)the end of April and i would be greatful for any info please.

Ta Matt.

Gareth Watkins

Reaction score
Hi Matt

A nice place to fish... there are three or four purpose built pegs and other areas you can fish which tend to get over grown if they have not been fished for a while. Ask the owner to widen them out if that is the case...

Some large catfish..(we had to over 70lb) we had a good number on halibut pellets fished over pellets.. but also on mackerel.. make sure you have a good strong braid if you want to target those.

Carp wise we had them to low thirties, and in quite good numbers considering we were catting...
No major nuisance fish so boilies should do well...

If you can get a bait over near the lawn on the non fishing bank you will probably increase you chances. The fish both carp and cats seem to like that area. Otherwise the island is a naturel carp magnet and we had fish from the margin off the right hand side of it... Boats are allowed so are baitboats, useful aids.

Check out the videos on our website if you want to see more..

cheers
Gareth

L

little Stu!

Gareth, we've got a trip booked for later this year for a few of us on here and its not one of yours (CasenLac), but now you're about we can pick your brains for a secondary trip this year.

But for starters, there's a couple of us that have kids around the 6, 8 and 10 mark and are looking for a nearby (lodge or without) venue not to far from calais for a weekend here and there to slowly get the kids into it.

Any ideas mate?

thanks in advance

MJ.

Reaction score
Cheers Gareth great info,we have a baitboat and row boat,should help alot,we will target both cats and carp,what hook link material for the cats.It says on there site only fresh bolies no ready mades, was it like that when u were there.

Thanks a mill Matt.

Gareth Watkins

Reaction score
Hi Matt
We used Ton up I believe, which should be ok for the size cats in there... or get some Dyneema of say 80lb+
A good forged size 2-2/0 hook should be fine for 2-3 pellets.
check out the video news on the site.. Big Ron explains all about it..

Yes fresh bait only on here, but you can air dry and there is a bait freezer at the near by Goncourt Farm..

Cheers
Gareth

B

Big Rik

Gareth

seeing as it'll be me aswell, can I have the PM too

thanks

L

little Stu!

ITS TRUE - sorry everyone, and you thought I was in IT Security...

Back to the drawing board for me then....

MJ.

Reaction score
Hi Gareth,
Ta for all that,cant wait, dont mind not catching loads,a change is as good as a rest,its great to have people who are so friendly and helpful.

Cheers Matt.

MJ.

Reaction score
just wondering what reels to use ,do i need big pits or will my shimano 8000,s be all right.

Ta Matt.

Gareth Watkins

Reaction score
Hi Matt,
You'll be fine on Woods with your 8000's. You'll not need any gear heavier than you usually use except your main line and strong braided hook link if you target the cats..

No need for big pits... I'd recommend 15lb Big Game or Daiwa Sensor... and a heavy forged hook pattern...You never know, while the lake does hold many doubles the carp go to 35lb+ and the cats to 110lb..

Tight Lines
Gareth