Tip of the week...

C

Chris Bishop

Been using these for the last couple of seasons, the ones sea anglers use at bottom of rig body to attach lead.

Totally bomb-proof, tie on end of main line and you can unclip trace as soon as fish is netted.

Wicked or what..?

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Been using what Chris?

My Tip,

For popping up deadbaits, cut off a small length of trace wire, about 5'. Cripm a small loop on both ends. Thread a Fox foam pop up ball onto a baiting needle and thread onto the wire. Fix in place with a Fox pellet stop.

When attaching the deadbait put the other loop over the hook on the top treble that you are hooking into the fish. Quick simple and easy.

A

Andy Doughty

I attatch pop-up balls with pole elastic. Tie a little loop in each end of 4 or 5 inches of elastic, pass one loop through the pop-up ball and then pass the other one through the first. Pull the elastic tight and the pop-up ball will stay on that end. Then put the other loop over two of the prongs of your treble and as long as you have tied the loops small enough, it keeps it all on.

C

Chris Bishop

Breakaway clips. Sorry, don't know what happened there.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Chris, I use cross lock swivels for the same purpose, I think thats what they are called, they are sold by Fox in there predator range and they certainly are handy. Its so much easier to deal with the fish without the rod attached.

J

jason fisher

so have i chris, trying them on the end of lure traces for attaching the lure as well.

C

Chris Bishop

Ten times as good as a cross-lok, Berkley, Fox or anything else. You don't have to snap/unsnap anything in the freezing cold, just *snick*.

Matt Drew

Reaction score
Deadbait loops.Learnt this one off a mate. Take 6 inches of mono(i use 15lb) tie a small look in each end.Put a bait needle through the tail of the bait and pull one loop back through,pass the other loop through a pull tight.Take the loop on the loose end and pass over your hooks.Now when you get a pull strike and you get the bait back most times.This is handy when you dont want other baits in the water to feed off other pike,you want the bait back becasue its too expensive/you dont have many or if like I do you save all of your old bais for pre bait.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Matt, What about when the pike your playing in shakes its head out of the water, the deadbait flys about and pulls the hooks out? Maybe it dosent happen very often but thats the reason I dont do what you say.

Matt Drew

Reaction score
When the pike shakes its head the bait slides up and down the trace.Ive been doing this all year and not had one drop off because of this.Not wanting to sound like Im gloating but thats 130 odd pike and no problems.I can see what you mean but it really doesnt cause a problem for me.

C

Chris Bishop

I try to fish so the bait comes off the hooks when you pull into a fish, so it doesn't throw the hooks. Using barbed hooks helps, I usually de-barb the point on the top hook the bait goes on.

The loop thing is a way of making sure the bait is retrieved so it doesn't feed another fish instead of it taking your bait.

Top idea, wish I'd thought of it.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Matt,

If you've had 130 odd fish this year then obviously I was wrong mate. Thing is, on waters where it would be most uselfull, i.e. ones where your not expecting many runs, these are the same waters I wouldnt be confident doing it on because I wouldn't want to lose any fish.

First time I saw this tip was recently on Paul Gustafsons DVD, with Austin, you know Austin, Austin old chap what do you think of this fish Austin, I bet my wife Austin that I could say Austin 500 times in one hours filming Austin, do you think I will make it Austin, one things for sure Austin, I'm going to annoy all the viewers arnt I Austin.

Did anyone else notice that or was it just me?

Matt Drew

Reaction score
Trouble is mate Im tight!Especially when smelt are now ?6 a pack and whole lamperey a quid!As well as not feeding the fish off you get loads of decent pre bait.And no more cast off baits!

C

Chris Bishop

It's a different idea, the idea of the clip/loop here is to take the strain off the hooks when casting, so you can chuck a lightly-hooked bait a long way.

I've tried variations on the theme and it doesn't always work, sometimes the thing spins up and kinks you trace.

Worse still, the guy's freelining at distance and not using any kind of drop-off, which is surely highly dodgy.

D

David Marrs

My top tip would be; when fishing drains and for Zander especially, walk and get away from the 'text book' swims such as bridges and easily accessible area's. Get some ground under your boots and fish some virgin water.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

When lure fishing, have a bead up the line before you attach your trace. You,ll save your tip if fishing in the dark and if you use a silver/gold bead, you can convince bigger Perch etc. that your lure is after the bead.