Boilie Dips & Soaks

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Boilie dips are extremely popular with some carp anglers, but others don't bother with them at all. Some will dip, even soak, a savoury flavoured boilie in a sweet dip.

What are your thoughts on this?

P

Philip Inzani

I think dips/soaks/sprays are useful things to have on hand but one occasion where I do not use them is when fishing over any amount of free offerings. I think a Carp feeding on a bed of bait is moving from bait to bait sucking them up and gaining confidence as it goes. If it suddenly comes across this "different" glugged bait it may be enough to make it think for a second about what its doing and that could be enough for it to avoid capture.
As for taking one flavour but then covering it with something else, I do find that a bit weird. Why not just pick the flavour you want in the first place ? I dont deny it can work but I think most fish taken like this are caught in spite of, not because of, the extra flavouring.

I

Ian Knowles

I had a pretty good winter last year using single glugged baits as oppose to previous winters and fishing the same water my catch rate definetely improved. This could of course be to a greater understanding of the water, but I felt confident in the method and it seemed to do the trick.

J

Jon Moores

I'd agree with Ian. I had some good results in winter, years ago, on a birdfood bait soaked for days in Minamino. A single hookbait over a small pouch of mini pellets did the trick.

M

Mark Munday

Low diam hook lengths seem to work for matchman and pole fishermen. But whenever I try to use them as a general/speciman coarse angler I seem too, One:get snapped up or Two: end up with "pig tails" when making up these traces. Am I being dense or am I missing something, your help appreciated, Mark.

I

Ian White

Can anybody help me in a while when i have some money[same old story]i am going to buy my first set of carp rods and reels any help on what i should look for would be a lot of help thanks

E

eddie short

Is there a method of preparing hemp that doesn't involve boiling it for hours on end. I'm sure I read somewhere that just soaking it would have the same effect, but can't seem to find an article to back this up. Anyone able to help??

V

vaughan nock

bass are late this year.........but more large fish (5-15)are coming to live baits.........

V

vince battams

looking for information on venues in northamptonshire can anyone help ?

L

Leon Foreman

Being new at the art if Boilies fishing I have treid most methods. One was glugging or dipping. What I did find was that when fishing on a bed a free offerings, it is less efective than fishing an unprepared swim. One piece of advise that I found usefull is as follows. When your glugged boilies have defrosted ad a couple as free offerings on a stringer and give the Hookbait an extra dipping. This would ensure that the Carp arent too suppiciuos about the bait offering as with groundbait. The only selution really left to you a finding the right flavour. Alltough I cant say the same apply with your conditions in Europe I have find it very helpfull in our local waters.

L

Leon Foreman

Local Is South Africa on the banks of the Vaal river. I have always found it chalanging fishing these waters. The stretch I fish is anything from a couple of Hundred meters to a couple a killometers wide. No defianable undergound structures or margins that one can trully say hold fish. That is unless you want to cross the border to the other side where no fishing is allowed. So it is really trial and error and the fish is very partiqular what they feed on. What works this week wont work the next so by and by I am usually stocked up with flavours and rigs that can put a bait and tackle shop to shame. That is unfortuantly the rule of the game here. No prepared swims and no named fish.