Braided mainlines for carpfishing?

L

Lazinko

I think i need Power Pro or any other braided line for the fishing in my homelake. It's so much weed in some places that i think it's necessary. But then i think of what i've heard of hooks pulling out and the fish is hurt by the line that wont stretch and then rips the mouth.

I need your views on this.
Many thanks, Dan Eriksson.

N

NottmDon

I dont use braided line for my reel line,just a personal choice as I beleive it can damage the eyes of the rods and the line roller on the reel. As for hurting the fish the idea to work around this would be to use a coated braided line such as 'striptease' or any of the others available as a hooklink or use some rig tube around your braid at the business end.
I've read many reports and articles in which braided line is much praised. I reckon if you ask three anglers youll get three different answers on this one :)

B

Big Rik

that's what leaders are for, and they also aid pinning the line down close to the baited area.

As Dom alluded to, for every argument, there is a counter argument.
For every positive, someone will describe a negative and vica versa.

If you think it will improve your fishing or overcome a specific problem, then use it.

L

Lazinko

Since my rods is Fox Rangemaster II 2.75lb TC it may pull the hooks easily? are this rods forgiving? i can't decide what i think about them.

B

Big Rik

forgiving enough, you just need to slightly alter your playing style and make sure your clutch is set properly.

G

Ged

I've used both braid and mono and never had any problems with either.

F

Frothey

depends on the weed - mono can be more abrasion resistant than braid. a lot of the anglers fishing places like raduta went back to mono (before they banned it!)

i bet if you wrap 15lb mono around your finger and pull hard, it'll still cut you.