Stick with the writing, Kevin

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Damn, I've had to call an emergency board meeting of Tart Tackle to get cracking on the 2006 catalogue. Idiot Bumblebee's been sleeping on the job again.

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Mark

Thanks for your lone voice of support. It is obvious that when it comes to article writing, it is cross roads time for me, no, that is wrong, it should read T-junction time. I understand that up to now I have been lucky in finding a niche on FM that caters for the very narrow appeal of my ramblings, however??..

Intelligent, well researched and clearly written pieces such as yours will always appeal to a broad spectrum of the angling fraternity and so they should. Those authors with a particularly strong viewpoint such as Barrie Rickards and Bob Roberts will always rouse interest from both supporters and detractors.

And it is that interest (or lack of) that I struggle to come to terms with. The whole premise of the Internet these days is take, take, take. It is somewhere that everyone turns to in order to get something. You just go online with every expectation of finding whatever it is you want at that time. Do we ever wonder how that particular piece of information came to be available, and more than likely, do we really care as long as its there?

As I regard myself a complete amateur on the writing front, in my ignorance I still feel I require direction to guide me in what I am doing. That would come through some sort of interaction with the people who are reading the articles, and by that I don?t mean going through all the trouble of going onto the Forums and writing a comment. And this is not fishing for plaudits, merely looking for feedback Perhaps a simple check box at the end of the piece where the reader could (anonymously) register marks out of five for content or whatever, rather in the manner of a tackle review. But that is, of course, just what is on my own personal wish list???..

With regard to the latest article, I tried (obviously poorly) to raise the issue that you can be fishing on a particular stretch of water controlled by one particular club, then cross a stile, or go through a gate and be fishing the exact same water, but now have to comply with a different set of rules because the fishing in the next field is controlled by another club, how does that make sense and would anyone like to discuss???errrrr no, apparently!

Oh well, rant over, onwards and upwards etc.

Regards

Kevin

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Kevin

I read your post and thought, perhaps I really ought to share some feedback with this guy, based on personal experience gained during the past 20 years of grinding out the stuff that some love to hate.

Thought I'd do it quietly, in private, like. But there's no contact email in your profile.

Maybe this is why you're getting so little feedback...

On the other hand, if you really want a dozen pages of hell raising fun on the forums, it's dead easy - easier than chub fishing in fact. All you have to do is wind-up a certain sector of the angling community. After that it doesn't matter what you say, or do, simply dare to have an opinion that's different to theirs and then stand by your principles.

Here's a few you can try:

Ask: What kind of an idiot fishes for barbel on the spawning grounds in June?

Or: State this isn't a keepnet mate, it's a recovery system.

Or: Unhooking mat? No mate, never use one. In any case, they're only made for carp and pike.

Or, you could ask what's the best sleeping bag for barbel fishing.

Or, ask what's the tallest stack of Stella cans you've ever made whilst fishing without it or you falling over and the funniest place you've hidden the empties.

Try it, it's great fun and will liven up many a dull day, providing you're wearing leather trousers!

Just keep on writing Kevin. If you get no feedback it's a sure sign you're doing something right. Trust me, I'm a Big Brother fan.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Another thing, very often you can write something and think to yourself, "that'll get a few bites." And nothing.

Another time you can write something perfectly innocently, something you think is quite innocuous, and all hell breaks loose.

The mistake some pundits/writers make (and this is not directed at either Bob or Kevin) is that they don't write what they really believe, and when that happens it shows. But such writers are soon found out and before too long the only reaction they get is to be ignored or get the p**s ripped out of them.

Whatever you write, make sure you believe it, that it's sincere. It doesn't matter if you're proven wrong later providing you believe it at the time.

In Kevin's case I think he has lapses of self-confidence, made worse when there isn't a reaction to whatever he's written. What he hasn't considered is that he's known to be a nice bloke, unlike me and Bob Roberts who are hated by millions (well, a good few anyway), and therefore people go easy on him. If Kevin's articles were no good I wouldn't use them.

So listen up all you Perkin's readers, have a go at him if you think he's wrong, or even if you think he's right. Us writers need to be told we're crap, or not, whatever the case may be.

How else can we bite back?

K

Kevin Perkins

Thanks Bob and Graham for your comments. It's true I get slightly paranoid at times (who said that!) and think that no one is reading my articles, particularly when I do a bit of 'baiting up', although as Graham says I'm far too nice to do anything really spiteful (except tease Woody about Amanda)

I don't do 'I used this tackle, went to this spot, used this method, and caught these fish' articles, and so there isn't a set pattern to what I ramble on about. Some of it is bound to be hit or miss, but unless I get some idea as to what people want I can only continue to operate the scattergun approach.

Regards

Kevin

ps

Bob, sorry, not withholding email address, just didn't click the right boxes (no change there, then!) Feel free to contact me any time

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Kevin,

Like Graham says, zilch response doesn't mean it's no good. I've had discussions with Graham about this, and, like you, sometimes wonder why what you think was a good article got little or no response. What has really happened (I believe this, so don't destroy my illusions) is that more than a few sage heads have read it, nodded in agreement, and not felt a need to discuss it. I suspect that's the case with the "Rules" part of your article for example. Through angling colleagues at work and on the river bank I've been staggered by just how many are reading the articles, yet very few of these ever post comments. For reasons I cannot explain I find it deeply ironic that people whose articles I have lapped up for anything up to 35 years now tell me that they read my articles (stuff it, let's name drop, G Marsden, T Lampard and J Gibbinson).

I'm just a fanatical angler who thinks deeply about his fishing, not a megastar. And it's this last sentence that you have in common with me in that people really do read your articles because here is someone else who thinks deeply enough about his fishing but in a different way to see some of the fallacies, ironies, contradictions, vanities and humour of a sport that we all love, and can write well about it.

This site has got strengths in its writing that no other website that I've found yet can match, and certainly not in the UK arena. No cribbing from in house magazines, just original work that is hard to find anywhere else. Unlike some magazines and newspapers, there is no reliance on ghost writers for the stars, which adds further to its strength.

When it comes to writing, humour is one of the toughest of them all. It's relatively easy to write an account of a day's fishing, more difficult to write a discourse to make a political point, and much harder to do humour or fiction. I'm as nervous as you with these type of pieces which is why I have hidden behind pseudonyms for these type of articles, though a few know who is who. I think the Alternative Angler type articles will continue to work well on here. The Damian stories are harder in that (to me anyway) it's a bit of a one joke story, the crafty old codger against the technocrat young whippersnapper, and once you've got that the joke pales a little, but that's only my opinion.

By the way the 2006 Tart Tackle Catalogue is with the printers....

Happy writing, Kevin.

L

Les Clark

Kevin Love all your work and may it continue ,I dont always respond becouse all I seem to say is ,"nice one Kevin " ,which mean`s it`s bloody good ,but Im not a great one with the words ,so sometime`s leave it to other`s to respond .

Reaction score
Don't stop writing Kevin. It's people like you and Mark that have inspired me to submit my debut article just last week to the ZAC mag.

Beecy

Reaction score
I read all the articles on FM and enjoy every one, although I do not pass comment mainly due I suppose to not wanting to sound patronising/critical as I am not the best at clearly expressing things in writing.

I take my hat off to all FM's contributors who give up their precious time to keep us all entertained and informed.

I keep promising myself that one day I will try to contribute with an article, thats just as soon as I can think of something interesting or original to write!

B

BLAM

It's much easier to knock than to contribute so keep it up. Publish and be damned, Kevin!

As to rules it's a sad but true reflection of society that people will take all kinds of dumb liberties unless you explictly state what they cannot do and ban them if they don't do as told.

I'm currently fishing an estate lake which isn't open to the public until April. It holds a mixed head of Tench, Bream, some original carp to just above 30lb and pike to about the same weight. I've had enormous fun (mainly fishing for the Pike thus far) on what is effectively a virgin water but never forgetting that it is someone's land I'm privileged to fish on.

Over the past couple of weeks in dribs and drabs a few other anglers have appeared on the banks and already the few common sense rules that existed have had to be superceded:

The single most important rule was not to fish in front of the main house on those week-ends when the owner was in residence. An easy enough rule to follow since it is still necessary to telephone in advance to book a days fishing at present (this will change when it officially opens).

What happened was people fishing where they liked despite having been told not to fish beyond the rather obvious "no fishing beyond here" sign. The owner went from being genial to being downright hostile in 2 weeks and I can't say I blame him.

Another obvious rule was not to park outside the main house (next to the owners Roller) and to use the car park provided. Again a common sense rule but what happened? Sadly a bunch of carpers parked behind their bivvies all weekend and then insisted on driving up to the main house and turning around via the big ornamental roundabout in full view of the owner.

The rule bending/breaking that most irks however (and IMO particularly where Pike are concerned because a lake with nearly twenty twenties in it is a very valuable resource) is don't leave rods unattended. The site of anglers casting in and then going to sit with their mates only to dash up the bank some 20-30 yards after a screeching alarm is pitiful.

It's quite possible to blame the estate manager and say he should put a stop to all this. However bear in mind these are the few select people who have been vetted by a local tackle shop and who then have to be interviewed by the estate manager before they are allowed on to the premises in the first place. If these "trusted" people mis-behave what will the hoi polloi be like?

T

Terry Comerford

Kev, I'll say the same as I did last time, keep writing as long as the Editor keeps publishing them, when he doesn't, write some better ones!

C

Clive Evans 1

Kevin, it is very clear that you are suffering from a that very common complaint, Perkins Personal Paranoia.

As a lonngg time observer of Ronalds Ramblings and other associated psychological disorders, I can reassure you on the outcome of your particular syndrome.

The answer is really quite simple. Whenever Kevin the Worrier pops his head up feed him a paracetamol and a couple lagers, and let Kevin Tickle-tackle take the helm.

I dont personally telephone my favourite authors to express my thanks for an enjoyable read. This thoughtlessness does not diminish the gratitude with which I read their next publication.

You are too enjoyable a read to lose, Kevin , so the bottom line is,
Keep up the good Works, mate.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Keep them coming Kev, I think Mark hit the nail on the head when he said readers nodd and agree and feel no need to respond.
I have found myself sat here with a stupid grin on my face thinking "yeah I know what you mean mate".
I don't respond because I don't need to, like Les said, it would get boring if I posted nice one Kev to every article.
And don't forget the "lurkers" who never post, I'm sure they just log on, read and enjoy.

Keep it up Kev, 150 published articles must mean you're doing something right.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Kevin, you know my views on your writing's, I cannot believe you could even consider the unthinkable.

Speaking for myself, I am of the opinion that were I to 'continually' praise, ultimately it would appear to be disingenuous or sycophantic.

I think Les say's it all above.

W

Wolfman Woody

I fully and wholeheartedly support Merv (although not his weight you understand) and Les in what they've just said.

And Mark and Graham, Graham told me once, just because you don't get athread staring up doesn't mean no-one read it. It probably means you explained everything fully enough so no-one has any questions or doubts.

Now in your case, people like to post to add their bit of humour to it and sometimes, you are just so funny and off-the-wall (Spike Milligan-ish, if I may say so) that no-one feels the need nor the wit to comment.

I do think that knowing many of this lot now, in spirit and some in the flesh (although not so much flesh) I can say that when they've had enough of you, if there ever coems a day, they will soon tell you.

On the other hand, if you feel writer's block coming on, have a little time off, or drop the writing to once a fortnight if it helps. Most of all - keep em wanting more.

Now to that matter of Amanda........

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Keep those articles coming Kevin. They're a joy to read. I just wish I was as talented.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Writing is an evil that must be exised from the soul...Kevin you could no more give up witing than stop breathing!

DO NOT STOP BREATHING!!!

J

jason fisher

if you stop writing we're going to send baz round to live with you.
why should we be the only ones to suffer.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Of course Kevin, getting feedback can be a let down.

As one email I received pointed out, "Not everyone in the world hates you, Bob. Some haven't met you yet..."

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Oh dear, blushing now!

Never intended to give up writing, just got to the despondent stage when you sit trying to pull something out of the keyboard, and there is nothing forthcoming, far easier to do if you are going to write 800-1000 words about a particular subject, and you know what that subject is - which I invariably don't!

With regard to Donald and Damien, Mark is quite right in saying that it is a 'one trick pony' and having got away with that for 18 episodes, the old bugger probably should be put out to pasture. Damien, however, might have some life in him yet.......

Anyway, as always, comments on articles are appreciated (I'm sure all contributors will agree to that) but if you do just read them, and nod your head, then I accept that's fine too.

And for those above like Frank and Beccy who have mentioned writing articles - give it a go and send them in! Graham only needs 700ish words (about one A4 page)and will sub-edit and knock any rough edges off, if required. There is immense satisfaction to be gained from seeing your article posted up on the site for the first time.

And as to not having any writing experience - nor did I. The largest work of fiction I ever wrote before coming on FM was my CV (Some would say it still is!)

Thanks to you all

Regards

Kevin

PS
Woody - Spike Milligan! I suppose that's going to cost me a drink at Civeden, or Amanda's number

PPS
Jason, I've tried to get in contact with you, perhaps you can email me if you get a chance - thanks