What's the greatest angling book...

E

EC

And don't just give me the old arty farty ones!

My fave is probably Understanding Barbel by Fred Crouch, as although barbel are his fave species, a lot of his thought processes also apply to other species and for that reason it is as good an all round river angling book as I have read.

S

STEVE POPE

Hi Eddie,

If you enjoy Fred's thought processes, you must make sure to get a copy of his next book which I am proof reading at the moment.

Should be available in the summer, I'll post details when they are available, Fred is not on the 'net.

It chronicles his life from wartime Britain to the present day and is a marvellous story.

Steve.

E

EC

I can proof read!

Gizza copy*!

*does best Yozzer Hughes impression

E

EC

Gimp, great call mate, I tell yer what, that was going to be my first choice!

I am sat here pondering which one, I had to virtually toss a coin to decide!

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Eddie there's loads of very good books on Angling but only a few great ones. Small Stream Fishing by David Carl Forbes is a good read if you want to have a go at this type of water and another inspiring book is Fishing for Big Tench by Barrie Rickards and Ray Webb which although dated makes you want to go out and catch a few.

Ivan Marks On Match Fishing is wriiten in a style that makes you think you can hear Ivan talking to you in his Leicester style of speaking.

My Way With Chub by Tony Miles again makes you want to go out and catch a few.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that any book that inspires you to want to go out and fish are great books in my point of view and all these books are never far away from my bedside table

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

This is a question that is virtually impossible to answer. It all depends if first of all you are talking about an instructive book or a book of stories and reminicenses. It also depends of the type of angling you do.

However there are several books that I have read and re-read over and over again. They are books I never tire of.

1: Drop Me a Line - Ingham and Walker
2: My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways - JW Martin.
3: Going Fishing - Negley Farson
4: **** Walkers's Trout Fishing 1 & 2
5: Fisherman's Bedside Book - BB

B

Big Swordsy :O)

So many books, books that are pure fishing tend to be boring.

You need a bit of nature
A splash of social comment
A smidge of controversy
A few grammes of new ideas

and a half hundred weight of humour

Steph Horak could probably write the greatest angling book

W

Wolfman Woody

"Wot?...you doin biography Swordsy?"

A little correction to your English Paul (sorry).

"Wot?...you doin an autobiography Swordsy?"

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
My choice would be The Deepening Pol by Chris Yates; just makes me want to be out there fishing!

I hope Steve does a better job than whoever proof read Fred Crouch's Understanding Barbel. There are one or two classic howlers in there; how about "water is a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen" oops!

Swordsy must reckon he's going to be better than Stephen King; in that case he'd better be good. I'd recommend King's "On Writing" to him and anyone else interested in writing generally. That has been my most inspiring book though there's no fishing.

R

Aye Mark, Try mixing Hyrogen and oxygen together.

You certainly do not get water.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I dont know about the best ever written as I have only read 20 or so but the best one I have ever read is,

In Persuit of the Largest - Terry Hearn.

Thats despite the fact that I have never seriously fished for carp. Its a fantastic book and as Eddie says about 'Understanding Barble', it will help you in so many areas of your fishing.

Second to that would be 'Magic Moments'.

R

Just a mix of gases. That perhaps go bang!

I remember something years ago about water being a compound of H2 ond O2 that only occurs under certain conditions.

Not only that pure H2O is virtually impossible to attain. I'm not a chemist.

R

The conditions to produce water with a mixture of H2 and O2 requires the gases to ignite - producing water vapour which will condense into liquid water at NTP.

Water is a binary compound of H2 and O2.

E

EC

'Just a mix of gases. That perhaps go bang'

What do you reckon they make when they go bang?