grand union canal, langley

henryk

Reaction score
does anyone know if a stretch of the grand union canal next to langley berkshire is free to fish on or not? the stretch in question is bridged langley park road heading towards iver away from langley railway station and is next to the langley household waste centre. i have seen people fishing there before and would like to do so myself however i want to make sure i'm within the law or by-law first. cheers

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Just have a valid rod License and turn up. Day tickets are sold on the bank, but you wont see anybody at this time of the year.

henryk

Reaction score
do any of you know what bait is best for this area at this time of year up until the season ends

W

Wolfman Woody

Keith Arthur recommends hemp and casters. He's a member of GXUDAS.

Feed one, fish the other, swap and try.

Tares are a good substitute for hemp on the hook.

henryk

Reaction score
i'm new to fishing and am still quite basic. what is hemp and casters and how do you make them?

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh boy! No trouble.

To get used to them, pop into a tackle shop and you should be able to buy both ready prepared.

Hemp is hemp (Marijuana, but legal) seed, soaked for 24 hours and then boiled (30 mins usually) until the kernel splits. Fish love it and it's NOT a drug. It has about 32% or so protein in it and quite a few essential oils.

Casters are maggots that have JUST turned into ther chrysalis state. In soem shops you have to order them, but occasionally there's a few pints in the fridge. And that's teh best way to keep them, in a bag, in the fridge until you use them.

Once you know what you're doing with them as bait you can buy raw hemp and prepare it yourself. You need a large OLD pan and some bicarbonate of soda. There must be an article on it somewhere on here.