pole info please

Reaction score
I have a browning syntec encounter which is rated at 14. But if I use elastic 14-16 does this mean the pole will cope with bigger fish. I am a bit confused by the ratings on pole I have not long taken up pole fishing. any info would be great.

I

Ian Cloke

A pole rating is for the maxiumum size of elastic the pole is designed to take Trevor. So if you use a 14-16 elastic, and you hook into a big fish, you will run the risk of your pole breaking under the pressure.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Use Daiwa black hydro-elastic set loose so that it contracts to pole slowly as the absolute heaviest elastic you use with this pole. The trick with pole fishing is to let the elastic play the fish unlike rod and line fishing where the rod does the playing. It takes getting used to but once you have made the mental adjustment and take your time, within reason, you should be fine.

Reaction score
Thanks for info. One thing I tried having loose elastic but could not land the fish as I found I could not control the length of elastic when stretched I ended up looseing the fish in the margin reeds. any tips guys

Jam Davies

Reaction score
hello could someone please help me i have just bought a 5 metre whip which is not elasticated. i want to put some size 12, high viz, hollow core elastic on it. i know it is compatible with my whip. i have also got an elasticated kitfor it someone please tel me how to fit it thank you Jamie

Reaction score
Hi Jamie. My whip came pre elasticated. It seems to be just the same method as a proper pole but just runs through one section. Its not hollow core so it might be a bit different for this. I dare say that others will give you some advice, but as I said thats the way mine was fitted up when I bought it. Its a middy pole/whip. I would imagine if you took it to your local tackle shop they would help you with advice, if not do it for you. Hope this is of help. Trevor.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I'm not suprised you are losing fish in the margins Trevor; the best way to prevent this is use a rod and reel. With a pole you cannot avoid giving the fish line until all the stretch is taken up in the elastic - at which point any further efforts by the fish are likely to either break your line, or the pole. With a reel you can choose whether to give line or not, depending on where the fish is heading.

I have lost count of the number of times I have seen anglers standing on their seat boxes, holding the pole at full length in a desperate attempt to stop a carp from burying itself in a marginal reedbed. It's quite funny really; I live in hope of seeing one get properly smashed and toppling into the water, accompanied by a splintering of carbon echoing across the lake.

From which you will gather I do not like poles...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jamie,

If your 5m whip is a true 'whip' then it is not designed to be elasticated and the tip section would be solid and not hollow. True whips are designed for the line-to-hand method and are not built to withstand the rigours of elastication.

However, if you have a so-called 'margin pole' then the chances are that it has a hollow tip section and will take a suitable elastic.

Fred, is it poles in general that you have a disliking of or simply poles used for carp on commercial lakes?

Fred Blake

Reaction score
The latter; I have seen (and occasionally used) poles used to good effect on canals and small rivers to present a bait close to a far-bank feature. I can also see the logic - from a competitive point of view - in the use of a whip to extract as many small fish as possible, e.g bleak or gudgeon.

What I do not agree with is the use of a heavily elasticated pole where any large fish may be expected, whether on a 'commercial' or not. I see far too many fish lost as a result - fish that get away towing not only a hook, but a length of line and a float. It strikes me as not only an inefficient method, but a lazy one as well; fish welfare coming some way down the list of priorities.

Reaction score
Hi Jamie and Fred. Thanks for your comments and advice. Very helpfull. Just thought to let you know the whip I have is a middy power whip, which has a completely different tip for whip fishing and two seperate ones with different strength elastics. Fred I agree with you on some points one of which being that if there is a chance of some big carp being present then the use of a whip could be doggy. The pool I use this kit on is only stocked with silver fish, so dont see the problem is this instant. I do thank you for your comments. Trev.