winter carping

Matty C

Reaction score
hi guys..

due to the fact that my river is littered with crays already, I fancied having a bash at some winter carp at my local lake..
would appreciate some pointers or just confirm my suggestions if correct..

I was going to buy a few pints of maggots, freeze them for a couple nights so theyre dead and fish them with pva bags on the edge of some lillies ? In the summer I would normally spod pellets, corn, boilies and hemp, but there is a pellet ban on at the mo, also I understand that feeding small amounts is best in winter ?

If any of you have any pointers or suggestions, I would appreciate them all..

thanks guys..

Matt

F

Frothey

sounds good, but what if the carp arent near the lillies?

if you are using dead maggots, i'd personally keep a third or so alive, and definately use live ones on the hook.

fishy pete

Reaction score
perhaps he means remnants of Lillie beds/submerged root structure??

firstly ,i wouldn't bother with ''just couple of pints'' i would get at-least a gallon. freeze half leave others alive,location is most important part, when you have found carp, spod half of deads and half of lives in area you have found,preferably night before,or if not possible as early as you can on morning if planned trip.
fish over top with large bag fulls of dead and live maggots over-top. use one of those Kora maggot clips on your hair there exellent.also if small fish are a nuisance,use rubber maggots there good . red maggots work for me better than any other colour to.

C

Cakey

I would find the fish first.............a couple of mega early mornings should do the trick

S

Sage

Matty, if the lake has lots of silver fish then the maggots will attract them as well as the carp. On the lake I am fishing at the moment the maggots don't seem to work, unless you want lots of small Perch and Tench.

Single pop ups and snowman rigs are doing well on my water.

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers guys..

perhaps some leading around for hard patches first might work.. if I am to use single pop ups or snowmen, should I literally use single hookbaits and thats it, or maybe a small bag of particle like baits to get them in.. ?

lilly wise, yes I meant remnants.. because of all the night fishing that goes on on my lake, as well as the lillies being the main feature, the authorities put a rope kinda thing all the way round the edge of it with light reflectors on it so as to stop people fishing right in the middle of it, and to let them see it at night, so I know where all the lillies are on the lake..

as regards to dead maggots, I only suggested dead ones cuz it is a silty bottom, so I figured they would all crawl into it..
there are also alot of silver fish in my lake, so maybe boilies would be a good bet..

cheers guys
Matt

G

Grant Lever

you could try cooked maggots,just drop them in boiling water for a few seconds,they will swell up to about 3 times the size and have a nutty flavour,

B

Big Rik

in these temps, use them live, they aren't liable to crawl away, and so what if they do?

food, in amongst the silt, where the carp formally find it, whatever next?

Foxy

Reaction score
brrr bit cold for carpys.....

i only go now if its between 8-10 degs. in the day, 4-6 at night.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

F

Frothey

for how long....one day of it wont affect the water temp much......

Foxy

Reaction score
stick your `ed out the window froth. Been freezing up here in the sunny midlands for weeks!

F

Frothey

nah, what i meant is that if you get one day of warmer weather inbetween loads of cold, it wont make a lot of difference to the water temps.

prolonged heavy rain when its a bit warmer, especially if its from the south-west, is another thing though.....

L

Les Clark

prolonged heavy rain ,which year was that then Frothey ?