Tench Fish-in

C

Chub King

Following the quiet success of a daring roach fish-in at Selby Three Lakes, I'm propose a tench fish-in (purely for the selfish reason that tench are my favourite species).
I'm open to any suggestions from fellow Fishingmagic members as to exact dates and potential venues.
Sywell after June 16 is possibility, although the place can be fiendishly fickle. I'd advise against Tring, especially Wilstone, because Andy will already be in the best swim (he, he!).
Sywell is probably the most northerly of the productive tench fisheries and is also a day ticket fishery (or was this season, not sure what will happen now that the lease is up for grabs).
Could go to Blenheim Palace or Bury Hill - both great venues for bigger bags of smaller fish.
What does everyone think? Could it be a goer?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
3 of us went to Bury hill last year in june. Never so a tench between us. All we got were small bream covered in lice, were talking over 20 on each side. We vowed never to go back.

Love trnch fishing so count me in depending on dates etc.

L

Les Clark

Not a water that I would fish Bryan ,too many people for the size of the lake ,sardines in a tin comes to mind .

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Got a tinca lob already ( fat green and slimey with a bright red eye!)

Sywell sounds good!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
We hired the punt for 2 days. Fished the jungle as i say not a sign of a fish. Was fishing with 2 FM members Alan Strickland and Jim Hinchley. Between us you would have expected something its not like were inexperienced. Would not have minded if we could see them spawning. Should have took the carp gear.

Paul B

Reaction score
Sounds good(depending on dates).. prize for smallest fish could be Greg's shakespeare suit =)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The venue to chose depends if you want to catch big tench, or just tench.

There are not that many waters in England capable of producing double figure tench these days. A few southern gravel pits, Sywell Reservoir or maybe Hollowell.

However there are stacks of waters capable of producing 6 pounders, including the fenland drains.

Bluebell Lakes has very big tench I am told but your are not likely to get a look-in, if Benson is still alive.

The best tench water I ever fished was Linear - Manor Lake at Stanton Harcourt. There were plenty of doubles there early season in the 90s. But you had to get them before they spawned.

I don't know what it's like now, but in the old days it would be ideal for a fish in.

Actually I would love to spend a weekend on an estate lake fringed with lilies and rushes, real classic stuff. And the tench would not have to be all that big, a chance of a 7 say.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I reckon it would be better to have a venue where everyone had a good chance of catching a few, rather than the odd person catching a biggie.

J

Jaffa

"Actually I would love to spend a weekend on an estate lake fringed with lilies and rushes, real classic stuff. And the tench would not have to be all that big, a chance of a 7 say."

Ron, I am lucky enough to fish such a water in North Bucks, great sport but no day tickets.

R

Some of the Fenland Drains just South of Peterborough are stuffed with tench. The 40 foot, 16 foot and the 20 foot are capable of producing big catches and fish up to 6 lbs are on the cards.

My best fenland tench in recent years went 6lb 4 oz from the Old Course of the Nene. You do hear of people that catch plenty of 8 pounders in these parts but I don't think they weigh them properly.

Certainly I have had 100lb plus bags with the odd 6lb bream amongst them. You need stacks of groundbait and a few days to get them really going.

R

I know the perfect place Matt. But you have to fish it after 16th June. And it's not far for Greg to go.

I shall be there from 15th June all being well to bait up some holes and drag weed.

The fish go from 3lbs up to over 6lbs.

C

Chub King

I'd personally prefer a lake Ron to a drain. A drain just wouldn't feel right.
The Linear waters around Oxford all do big tench. The problem is that they do far too many carp anglers in the spring as well. St Johns or Manor Farm are both capable of producing monster tincas but are really popular carp venues too.
Hollowell is a good idea from Mike - I'm pretty sure you can bivvy up there whilst you can't a Sywell. Hollowell also does plenty of other species too.

R

Hollowell sounds good to me. Straight down the M1 and off at Junction 18 via West Haddon.

Its' an old Victorian reservoir with lots of character. I went to have a look at it in the 90s. Hope you can bivvy up. it would be mavellous for a weekend.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Sywell is up for tender Greg.
The council are considering night fishing and abolishing the close season.
How about all FM members chipping in so we can lease the place for ourselves !

Steve Hall

Reaction score
I would love to go if it's Sywell or Hollowell, Sywell situation is uncertain at moment but i hope whoever takes over allows nightfishing or at least closed season fishing, Fished it twice early on this season and my impression is it's quite a hit and miss place, You've only got too look at the results of the tenchfishers conquests last year to appreciate that.
Never fished Hollowell but had a look round a couple of times, It looks spot on.