Quiver Tip To Fit?

bigchub

Reaction score
Have just found the Shimano rod I want but one of the quiver tips is a bit dodgy. Does anyone know if other company's quiver tips like Drennan or Daiwa would fit? Its for the Shimano Twin Power Medium Light Feeder rod, 116.

mol

Reaction score
As long as it's not one of the new generation of feeder rods with all carbon tips then the Drennan or Dawia tips should fit, I'd take the carrier section to the shop and double check.

I've just bought a Drennan matchpro medium feeder, I have a spare Dawia tip for the rod that fits, so the Drennan's and Dawia's must be the same size tip. A friend has a Shimmy medium catana feeder and the Drennan tips fit that.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Its for the Shimano Twin Power Medium Light Feeder rod, 116.
Do I take it this is the browny coloured rod with a cross weave running through it? Its quiver tips are also reduced in diameter where they plug into the rod.

I had the 9' Twin Power Winklepicker, nice rod, but the tips on that were dodgy, all of them a little loose. If yours is the same, do you have any resin? If so mix up a very thin mix and brush just a very thin stroke down one side of the fitting. When it's dry, try fitting again and if it's then too thick, take some wet and dry and remove some of your resin until it does fit.

It's a painful exercise, but no one makes tips like that, so my way is the only way, I think you'll find. Sorry.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
The drennan tips do indeed seem to fit daiwa rods but for some strange reason the reverse isn't true. I presume the taper at the joint is different. I don't know where the shimano tips come into the equation becase I haven't tried them.

When trying tips that were not designed for the specific rod be carefull because the exercise can result in your original tips no longer fitting properly. It appears to me that the interior of the joint is coated in some sort of resin that is often quite vulnerble to damage.

Another (obvious) answer to the loose fitting quiver problem is to spray the base of the quivertip with carbon joint restorer

slade

Reaction score
Middy sell some glass universal tips (MTDI I think) with a range of joint sizes and strengths. Get one slightly bigger and it rub down. They are very cheap - about £5 I think - whereas the Diawa & Drennan tips are over £15.

bigchub

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's guys. Will see if my Drennan tips fit and see if my dad Daiwa tips fit. If not I'll take it to the tackle shop and try put some of the quivers they have. Will also take a look at the midi tips.

cg74

Reaction score
I've always found Shimano tips to be greater in diameter than all other standard tips on the market and at £15 each I can guess why they may not want them to be possible for interchanging, that said every Shimano feeder rod I've seen has had the same tip diameters (Antares, Technium to a Alivio).

No reason not to go for a universal tip, all of the ones I've used have been much broader than the original tips, needing a bit rubbing off with fine sandpaper.

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
PM me if you get stuck BC. I've got a glass tip from an 11ft twin power (about 1.5oz tc) which you can have. Should be just right for nervous chub.

bigchub

Reaction score
PM me if you get stuck BC. I've got a glass tip from an 11ft twin power (about 1.5oz tc) which you can have. Should be just right for nervous chub.

PM inbound Sean.

Apparently (according to Billy's Tackle) the tips are stepped down at the end which fit into the rod, meaning that its thinner than the rest of the tip.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Apparently (according to Billy's Tackle) the tips are stepped down at the end which fit into the rod, meaning that its thinner than the rest of the tip.
As I said. They are very thin where the fit the rod.

I fashioned one out of an old Daiwa carbon tip and it worked, but took a while to get right!