Cats eyes review

G

Gary Knowles

Really like the look of them Graham. Ideal for summer night fishing...

B

Bully

Dont you with normal torches BLAM? The main issue I see is having you hat blow off/fall off when leaning over the lake or river??

B

BLAM

Petzl's have a pivot so the angle of light can be adjusted whereas this Cats Eye doesn't seem to. Graham has obviously tried it and I just wondered how the Cats Eye compared from a users perspective in this respect. That notwithstanding it looks pretty good to me.

Paul B

Reaction score
looks bloomin expensive to run; on button batteries, 4 a time and at least ?1 each for 20hrs use... think i'll stick to my petzl and rechargeables!

alan strickland

Reaction score
Given up on headtorches,sick of bug`s flying in face ect
Theese look like they could fit over a jacket pocket and light up my knee`s whist im sat in chair for baiting hook and tying rig`s so might give them a try.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Not for me, i prefer me little Petzl.

B

Bob Watson

I got a little beauty from Tescos a couple of years ago, it's an energizer. It has two really bright white LED's and one red LED, which, supposedly doesn't ruin your night vision, it takes three AAA batteries which last ages and is really lightweight, which is a bonus if, like me, you hate having anything on your head. It pulls down necklace style while sleeping without being cumbersome. I've actually spent a while looking on my bivvy table and surrounding groudsheet before realising it was on my neck. Thinking about it, it's adjustable and light enough to discard the strap and velcro it to the peak of a baseball cap to give you an adjustable peak light.

Perhaps I should have done a review.

Nearly forgot, the important bit, about ?14 if memory serves.

E

EC

Well in Bob, looks decent enough as a back up, saying that the one mentioned here seems ok as well.

I've got a zipka and have just seen you can get coloured lense filters for it to make the light green or red.

B

Bob Watson

More than good enough for a back up, you wont see the other side of the fishery with it but for getting to your rods/pod in the dark, landing fish, making a brew and baiting up it is more than adequate. I hate wearing hats so the "cats eyes" is a no no for me.

I used to have a petzl, too heavy on my nut, but that was quite a few years ago, before the age of LED's, it took one of those square batteries with the two copper terminals on top, housed in a compartment at the back of the head. In those days the local beach anglers used miners lamps.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I got a Petzel Tikka Plus for Xmas (Girlfriend works in Millets) only used it once but seems like the dogs danglies to me. The only problem I can see with the Cats eye thing is that you HAVE to wear a baseball cap. I like to keep my headtorch on when asleep so i'm ready to go. Couldnt sleep in a baseball cap.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Some good points noted. The lack of a tilt is a minor negative as it's just as easy to push your cap further back or forward on your head as it is to use a tilt device.

The Caplights are not a 'walking off torch' but a 'baiting up' torch, so bearing that in mind the 24 hour battery life is pretty good considering you're going to have the torch on for a few minutes (at the most) every time you bait up or deal with a fish.

If you don't like wearing a cap then fair enough, the Caplight is not for you.

Take into consideration the cost of ?13.50, which includes post and packing.

njb51

Reaction score
I like wearing a cap but i dont think its right for me as it is not adjustable. The headtorch i use at the moment can be tilted down 90 degrees meaning i dont have to break my neck when doing anything with my tackle.

ahem!

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I know someone who has the rights to import a product called "lucipher cap"
It is basically a cap with 3 LED's in the peak trying to get him to get a realtree licence.

W

Wolfman Woody

Well considering I wrote to CF recently and said what a poor show the head lights were that they reviewed (they can't help it, it was what the manufacturers supplied), this one is a step in the right direction.

And direction seems to be the problem. Surely that is a signal to tackl manufacturers that if they got hold of soemthing like this WITH a directional head, that would be the solution to all our problems.

I have a hand torch with 10 LEDs that I use to walk the dog. It seems to last a month, but on reflection it is probably less that 24 continuous burn.

This one could do with a port in the back and a recharger too. Job done for TART TACKLE!