Stillwater vs River.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I fish both still and running water and enjoy both types but if I had to make a choice I prefer the variety offered by Rivers.

Don't get me wrong I love stillwater fishing, especailly estate lakes for Tench, and have become addicted to Pole Fishing in recent years. However, trotting on rivers is my first and enduring love, it is what I was bought up on; my bread and butter style of fishing with river roach as my ultimate quarry.

I also prefer to fish for game fish on rivers as upstream nymphing is becoming a way of life for me, especailly in April, May and early June when the rivers take on a pristine quality and are a joy to fish.

So, whilst it is fair to say that I have an enduring dalliance with stillwaters I love river fishing just that bit more. What do you think?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Rivers every time for me but like you I'm not averse to fishing pools but prefer not to.

When I started fishing, pools weren't nearly as popular as they are these days and going fishing meant going on the river, thats where I learnt from my father and later with friends and its still the place I would rather be above all others. It gets more difficult as I get older but I just pick venues where I know I haven't got to traipse for miles and because I have a vast knowledge gained over the years of venues on the Severn, Wye and Avon I don't find it a problem at all.

B

BLAM

Depends on my mood and/or the time of year. In the spring and early summer fishing estate lakes for Crucian Carp, Rudd, Tench and Bream takes my fancy. However autumn and winter mornings on the river persuing Chub, Barbel and Roach can't be beat.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I'd go with Blam for fishing a river on a winters morning with a bit of pace in it.
An early summer morning or late evening for bream and tench.

B

BLAM

You can come with me if you'd like Baz! I'll sort you out a day ticket hehe

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Don't be too hasty mate.
I might just have started world war 3 on the (Good News Bad News) thread if anybody has the nerve for it.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The sound of the river singing as she makes her way to the sea. When i am on her banks i don't care if i catch or blank. For time in her company is always time well spent.