Good news, bad news

S

Sage

The good news is that I caught two Carp while it was snowing last Friday. That's the first time I have ever landed a Carp in the snow.

The bad news was waking up Sunday morning to find the lake totally iced over. I had to use my 3oz marker lead to break the ice and get my lines out.

Does anyone have a better way of removing the line from the ice?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I wouldn't expect or want any apologies from certain quarters Bob.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I'll buy you a pint or three if I ever see you Sage mate.

nicky

Reaction score
i just noticed this thread and i've goto admit it has brought a smile to my face

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It brought more than a smile to my face nicky.
It gave me a stonking hard on.

S

Sage

hmm, I feel like I am standing in the bottom of a hole...so I'm not about to start digging!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

We are now friends for life wether you like it or not mate hahahahahaaaa.

G

Grant Lever

use a back lead in the margins,thats usually the last place to freeze,and easiest place to break ice,then you can play fish or retrieve gear under the ice

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You carry on Sage mate, don't let the resident killjoy grind you down.

B

Bob Watson

"It brought more than a smile to my face nicky.
It gave me a stonking hard on".

Oh!! the mindseye conjures up some sordid images Baz ;-))

G

Grant Lever

sorry didn,t read "read it and weep", (don,t take much notice of baillifs)lol.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Baz, I dont want to go throught all this shit again but, he got his lines out didn't he, I thought your problem was with having to snap your lines off and leaving baited hooks in the water. Sage didnt do that, he found a way roiund the problem like most of us suggested would be possible whatever.

Sage, In response to you question, we decided it would be best to situate your rods well back from the lake with only the tips over the edge of the bank and then to actually submerge the tips of your rods. That way it should be relativley easy to break the ice where your line enters the water. Possibly carry a long heavy bankstick to break the ice.

More to the point question your sanity, what you doing out in that weather man!

S

Sage

Guys, let me just say that I have well and truly learned my lesson from this. Like Baz says, the safety of the fish comes first and if there is a risk of this happening again I will reel in for the night (or go home).

But a couple of points to note.
Before I set up I took "local advice" on where was safe to fish...from two bailiffs who assured me that this section of the lake "never freezes over".

There was no ice on the water at 17:30 when it got dark.

In the morning when I got up, the same two bailiffs were as surprised as me, and if you haven't already guessed, they were in the same situation. I had to use my lead to free the lines for one of them.

These guys have been fishing the lake every weekend all winter (except for Christmas). According to them, they have never seen that part of the lake freeze over before. The same comments came from a few guys who turned up early Sunday morning.

Luckily this time there was no harm done and I will not take the same "risk" again.

I was not trying to justify what happened in any way, but trying to find out if there was a better solution once I found myself in that situation.

Anyway, I will leave it at that, except to say Baz, that I will be more than happy to buy you a pint if our paths cross.

S

sash

All I can say on the matter is that if it only took a 3oz lead to break the ice then it wasn't very thick. I seem to remember using 6lb lead weights on the end of a rope in my match fishing days.

I don't think I've ever fished an all nighter and not been aware of the conditions during the night so I think this is more down to an individual's bad angling practise then anything else. Oh sod it, close the lake, ban all angling once it drops below 1 degree C!!!!

Baz, stop encouraging your relative/best mate to post......;o)