GRAYLING ON THE FLY ???

Marvin Village

Reaction score
I AM HOPING TO GO FISHING THIS WEEKEND AND AS A NEWCOMER TO FLY FISHING WAS AFTER A BIT OF GUIDANCE.
I AM A MEMBER OF A LOCAL ANGLING CLUB THAT HAS A FAIRLY PROLIFIC STOCK OF GRAYLING ALONG A STRETCH OF WATER AND ALSO STOCKS BROWN TROUT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON.
I HAVE ASSUMED THE BROWN TROUT ARE OUT OF SEASON UNTIL MARCH'ISH TIME, AND WAS GOING TO HAVE A GO FOR THE GRAYLING ON THE FLY, I ASSUME THERE'S NO ISSUES WITH THIS AND THAT THE GRAYLING ARE IN SEASON ????
ANY TIPS ON FLIES ETC GREATFULLY RECEIVED, I AM ASSUMING SOMETHING DOWN FAIRLY DEEP WOULD BE MY BEST BET................

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Depending on the river you fish, probably the best way is what is termed Czech Nymphing.

It's too complex to discribe the method here.

Have a search on Google.

R

Oh and by the way Marvin, take that CAPS LOCK off, it sounds as though you are shouting.

R

Great stuff Marvin

If you want to put in a capital, press shift at the same time as you press the letter key.

But perhaps I should explain is that I am a touch typist who has spent 40 years or more behind the keys of typewriters and computer keyboards.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Have a go at Czech Nymphing as ron suggest. Only short cast are used this will be easier for you if you are a begginer at fly fishing.

If you don't mind me asking Marvin which river are you on and what size is it were your fishing.

Marvin Village

Reaction score
i am fishing the dove in derbyshire, i am lucky enough to live only 10 mins away..........i might go after the sizeable chub in this particular stretch, but i have a friend who is a fly fisherman who fancied a couple of hours somewhere on saturday morning so i suggested that we could go after some grayling...........will let you know the results..........