Walkie Talkies

lilypad

Reaction score
There are three of us have exclusive use of Etang Bertie, which is 4 Acres. So as we will be fairly mobile around the lake I have got some walkie talkies for us to call each other for assistance etc. But I do not know if they are legal or require a licence in France. Anyone know?
Cheers, Alan..

lilypad

Reaction score
It's OK just found out they are EU legal and licence free.
Thanks anyway.

lilypad

Reaction score
Good enough for me. They are the Binatone MR250 @?24.95 pair or ?39.95 for four.
That's @ Argos. Up to 3Km range and come with rechargeable batteries and a charging cradle.

L

little Stu!

superb - u tested them? Cakes (you electronic slag) have a look on argos and give opinion please?

G

Ged

Wife bought me same, scared living day lights out of me when I first swithced them on, some young kid saying "hello, anyone there".
Never have used them.

C

Cakey

if it was me I would pay the extra and have the unidem 885 pros
twice the channels
twice the battery life
and 8k distance

or you can borrow my three units..........

L

little Stu!

Bless him.....

you gotta link for the walkies cakeole?

lilypad

Reaction score
It's a 4 acre lake, not the Caspian sea.
They work fine over the distances I require.
All these vhf radios work well past their stated distances given good propogation conditions and a clear line of sight.
The idea is to be able to assist someone within a couple of minutes walking.
Anyway my original question as to their legal use has been satisfied now.
Thankyou.

C

Cakey

ok lily settle down,Im sure what you brought will be good enough for you !

C

Cakey

Stu another reason for these ones is they will work car to car so when Roto breaksdown ..........................

lilypad

Reaction score
CAKEY I don't know where you got your info about vhf\uhf comms comes from. They only work line of sight except in unusual atmospheric conditions and via reflection. FACT!!!!
But only being a member of IEEE what do I know?
By the way I am going to enjoy the "noddy" water because I can move around and not be stuck with a duff peg for a week and could be stuck next door to a pillock!

S

Spoddy

Mine work better line of sight but they do work though obstacles too.
Had one on the bank while our kid took other one in his car to shop around mile and half away.
Hills trees and buildings in the way.

Not perfect but we could understand each other.

NTL's from Argos.

lilypad

Reaction score
They don't work through obstacles . But as I stated the signal can reflect(bounce) around objects via line of sight ones.
The signal can also bounce off thermal layers in the atmosphere.(sporadic ?)
you will notice that because of the wooding effect of buildings, taxi companies have to have relay antenna throughout the town or suffer blank spots.