Vintage wisdom

• Thread starter Big Swordsy :O)
  • Start date
B

Big Swordsy :O)

So true...we yearn for the peaks of Everest but once the last rock is conquered where do we go from there?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Eeeerrr, down the slippery slope??
We are already on it, as the wonderfull world of angling now enters a new phase. What can that be I wonder?

Price wars, for the best fishing locations.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,

What an enjoyable piece.

For many of the reasons that you covered I find more contentment in catching Dace and Roach than I think I ever did when after the 'specimens'

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
I got to this stage a few years ago and turned to Fly fishing. It was like starting fishing all over again. A superb way to get me back into the sport I love.

Fishing your old venues for coarse fish using the fly is great fun, as well as the different types of water wild trout and grayling fishing takes you to.

Rich

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I too love fly fishing Rich.

As regards my own fishing these days, well I must quote Walker again.

"Oddly enough, although I have caught some big fish, their captures do not shine as brightly in reminiscence as you might think. I think more of the happy times spent with good companions, and what they have said."

That will do for me I guess.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I must be on one hell of a cu-de-sac. I have go so, so ,so much to do I feel as though it will never get done, I'm always ina quandry as to what to fish for. Maybe I will reach the ned of my cu-de-sac but it must be along way away as I cannot even begin to imagine where the end is yet let alone see it.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Oddly enough, although I have caught some big fish, their captures do not shine as brightly in reminiscence as you might think. I think more of the happy times spent with good companions, and what they have said."

That will do for me I guess.

Lovely

Wal

Reaction score
Whenever I feel my fishing is going a bit stale I change tack and do a bit of sea fishing, just a couple of days of something so different gets me yearning for the sight of a float either gently bobbing along in the river or motionless next to a clump of reeds or lilly pads on some quiet stillwater.(dream mode) you're fishing near the margin with your float tight up to a lilly pad, a stream of tiny bubbles hit the surface, your float drops a little bit and shudders, your pulse rate doubles, any second now and all hell will be let loose and it will be attached to you by a mere strand of spiders web.

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Reading Marks piece on the pleasure side of fishing, without doubt I to have a like choice.I've just retired and once again have reached the cross roads,uncertain of the choice I should make.
It seems that both our lives have followed much the same course, match fishing, then the speciman world, including trout fishing, then full circle
, back to the match scene and finally into the preverbal cul-de-sac.However since reading Marks article, my decision is made,I shall fish for Wye barbel,my local Grand Union Canal,around my home in Northants
for it's perch, zander and pike (the later 2 are in residence but of an unknown potential) and enjoy every moment till they plant me.
P.S. And there's always those big eels we used to catch in the early sixties on the G.U.C. thanks Mark for giving me a kick start.

;

Simon Woollhouse

Reaction score
whip fishing on th GUC in milton keynes catching small perch roach gudgeon etc and seeing the sheer excitement on my two boys faces every single time the float dips under is enough enjoyment for me.

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Simon I learnt my whip fishing down at M.K.
it's nice to know there are still plenty of bits,since I moved I have heard some conflicting reports.Happy days to the lads

Simon Woollhouse

Reaction score
the canal itself seems a bit conflicting. some areas seem almost totally devoid of life while others appear to be teeming. but i suppose that's all part of the fun and the challenge ; locating some fish in the first place.