Symetres

C

Chris Bishop

I've got some 3lb tc Symetres. Nice big water rods but have had a bit of a love/hate relationship with 'em and they only come out a couple of times a season.

Main problem to me is the handles are too short and the butt ring is too far from the handle, meaning problems setting up rod rests, drop-offs, line sticking to the bank or blowing around etc.

I'm thinking of putting an extra ring on the butt section, anyone else tried it..?

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, it will have to be a bloody big ring if i remember rightly..lol.

These rods suffer from the "long range carp" syndrome...ie...too few rings!

C

Chris Bishop

Nope, six or seven on the top section. Problem is the butt ring's two feet away from the reel seat, the only thing that lets down an otherwise superb bit of kit.

I used to pull out of a few fish on them too, but they're very tippy and I've mellowed a lot since those days.

What I want to know is has anyone else done it and found it works (ie added an extra ring..?)

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris..I must have the wrong rods in mind....sorry.

I have a pair of armalites with the same problem in that the butt ring is so damn far from the reel seat I have to have the rests 4 feet apart. They were built for boat fishing but the builder got it wrong big time...unfortuantly. Hence the reason I build all my own rods now.

I think I may try adding an extra ring....I would suggest taping one on first, just to see if it will work!!

J

jon read

iam thi nking of getting a pair of 2.7f fas action ones with the cork handle are they any good????

C

Chris Bishop

The 3lb ones are pretty stiff-actioned - good for big lead/smallish bait or drifter fishing.

Not much use with soft baits or fishing close in.

D

Dave O'L

Chris would it work if you moved the original butt ring down to where you wanted & just fit another smaller 2nd ring where the original went. I did this years ago for a rod & it appeared Ok - then again I wouldn't know if it wasn't.
It strikes me that you've got nothing to loose & you could always move the original back if you weren't happy?