What to look for in a chair - a review by Lord Paul

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I guess most of us have owned or do own a fishing chair - but what to look for when buying a new model

1 comfort - look might be sitting for hours
2 strength - you want something that holds your weight easily
3 weight - if you are carrying it far you don't want it too heavy
4 adjustable legs - so you can get it level on an uneven bank
5 adjustable back - so you sit in the correct position

BUT the most important feature is

LEGS THAT LOCK IN TO POSITION - by that I don't mean hight but legs that don't slide under you

I bought a new chair last year and it's back legs move when you stand up and then sit back down - result - the chair tilts back and I end up sat looking up at the sky - this has happened several times so far - most with nothing more than a bruised ego but I have had a lap full of groundbait, a lap full of maggots and a lap full of coffee that burnt my gentleman's region

So be warned - next time you buy a chair make sure it;s one with legs that lock and stay in position or you may just be the next fool on his ar$e on the bank or his scrotum the colour of a clown's nose

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Should this not be "PROBLEMS WITH CHAIRS"!
First chair Dragoncarp was very comfy but big and heavy to cart around, also too hot in summer due to padding, minmal attachments, rod rest only but a side bag for bits.
Second JRC Roamer was lightweight but no adjustable back support, ment sitting almost lent on your back, no good for that quick strike etc. No attachments.
Third and best but not perfect, Korum accessory chair, still not a lightweight but very surdy with plenty of attachments and adjustable back rest and carrying strap.

Gone are the days of those little fold up wooden stool or the fold up stool with rucksack which fell over when you stood up due to too much tackle in the bag.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Paul

This is a big problem.

I bought a Chub chair last year for my lad.

He very quickly trapped his finger in it because the back legs collapsed under when he sat down (somehow while holding the side of the chair). The result was his finger was trapped between th side rail and the hinge while his full body weight was sat down on it and trying to get up from the collapsed chair.

His finger seemed squashed and soon went purple ans swelled up. I don't know how it fitted in the tiny gap, but luckily he was OK in the end.

A

alan whittington

My korum accessory chair cant do this,as it locks in place first.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Ugh!................just about to eat pot-roast beef as well..

ps Note my thread on JRC chairs re sliding legs!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
This is a real problem.I too have suffered the ignominy of the slow collapse and I am looking for a high-ish chair with some kind of locking nut on the back legs. The newest Fox chairs have them but they are hellish expensive and can be very heavy.
Also...the older & more rickety I get the harder it is to stand up out of a low chair. I can still do it but eventually my knees simply wont be able to cope.

Us "old boys" need something that's garden chair height with a lock on the back legs. Anybody know of one ?

Not Fox Daddy Long Legs please...they weigh a ton.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
This is a real problem.I too have suffered the ignominy of the slow collapse and I am looking for a high-ish chair with some kind of locking nut on the back legs. The newest Fox chairs have them but they are hellish expensive and can be very heavy.
Also...the older & more rickety I get the harder it is to stand up out of a low chair. I can still do it but eventually my knees simply wont be able to cope.

Us "old boys" need something that's garden chair height with a lock on the back legs. Anybody know of one ?

Not Fox Daddy Long Legs please...they weigh a ton.

Is it time for one of these ?

:mad:

I was going to put an amusing picture of a Shackletons High seat chair, but I dont know how to rob piccys from t'internet and put them on here.

More sensibly, Bedchairs & Chairs --- Ultimate Direct Factory Outlet Store (see, I can do links) have a range of chairs (with weights available - hurrah ! V. light as well some of them). If you can get to climax tackle I beleive they stock them there as well. I cant speak for the quality. I can speak for the quality of their latex landing nets however and they aint bad, although its hard getting used to such a fine mesh. I sure I'll get into it, or perhaps another fine mesh. (I'll get me coat)