Mono / Fluro / Braid - Spool up for 2006

S

Stuart Jeffery

hi - this is my first post. i have been reading the site with interest for a few weeks since deciding to go out fishing again (brielfy took it up 2 years ago but blanked too often!)

i know I will get lots of differing opinions, but thats a good thing!

i am just about to upgrade my okuma interceptors to the wychwood extremis reels. still cant quite aford baitrunners yet, but thse look the business and have 9+1 bearings 9all for 30 quid!). anyways, i am trying to work out what line to spool them up with.

was thinking of using 15lb krystonite, but would like advice on whether this is excessive. i like using method feeders and have 2 x 2 1/2lb and 1 x 3lb hyperloops. and after reading the threads thought it could be a good way to go using this line.

any suggestions on what i should spool up the spare spool with? should i go for a higher lb strain for snag/weed fishing, which i assume would be better off using a dark mono or braid rather than a fluro coated line.

i have searched the threads but none of them have really tackled the basics of what breaking strain to test curve and what different types of line are for.

thanks for your help / advice really appreciate it

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I would go for Diawa sensor, the dark version. I used some krystonite this year in 10lb for barble fishing and wasnt that impressed as it seems to coild up after a while. 12-15lbs should be about right. BTW you can afford baitrunners, Okuma expix pro's seen them somewhere half price recently, I think it was chapmans, stunning reel for ?30. Also there's the undertaker (also okuma) a bait runner version coming in at ?30ish.

U

unknownforce

thanks paul

i meant shimano's. the wychwood are a bait runner and they have more bb's than the okuma's. i havent used either though so dont know if one is better than the other.

when you say 12-15 should be about right, do you mean for the sensor or that the krystonite wont coil as much

thanks

F

Frothey

wont catch any more with shimano's than okuma's.....

either sensor or krystonite will be fine

"brielfy took it up 2 years ago but blanked too often"

get used to it!

U

unknownforce

'wont catch any more with shimano's than okuma's.....'

no i know mate, but we all like a bit of shiny kit to help build confidence. even down to this ridiculous notion that everything has to match up - hence the 3 new reels, as i have bought one new rod and didnt want another okuma, so am changing them all. the interceptor has been an ok reel but i do find it a bit 'cranky' if you know what i mean. it also has 3 bearings and the wychwood 9, plus i found a site selling them for 30 quid a piece!

i think that the better quality tools you use will also make life easier?

B

Big Rik

with 2.5lb rods, you wont need any line heavier than 15lb, so spool up your spares with either a lighter (12lb?) line, or with a different type.

Foxy

Reaction score
unknown,

Dont worry to much about everything matching up when your only just back into it. I know loads of people that go out and buy all the latest gear just to look the part and within 3 months they have had enough and all the kit gets left in the garage.

just remember "its whats in the water that will catch you the fish, not whats on the bank".......

The Fox

U

unknownforce

thamks fox - think i shall be upgrading regardless. just itching to buy new reels and these look a lot better spec than my current interceptors. its in anticipation for my baggin up sessions this year!! with a pb of 17.5lb, i am gunning for a twenty and beyond!

F

Frothey

spend the money on a decent ticket and decent bait....money much better spent!

U

unknownforce

thanks for all your advice - its gone slightly off topic and while i appreciate your advice about not upgrading tackle, i am sure you have all had the same wishes.

i live in kent and am waiting to join elphicks, but the list is a little long!! (joining tonbridge in the meantime)

U

unknownforce

after all thatfuss i have decided to go for another interceptor. i wasnt overly impressed with the wychwood and would rather wait until such time i can afford an AERO GTE B.

Thanks for the advice and helping to put things in to persepctive

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Back to your original Q i am going to try X-line (Flourocarbon) crap for casting but sinks like a stone and near invisable i will spool up spare spools with a decent mono for long chucks it might be worth you trying something like this?

U

unknownforce

hi benny. i have x-line on my two okuma's at the moment. i cant sau it has improved my catches since changing from berkely big game brown and i dont know if anyone else found this but the memory on it is nasty

Golden

Reaction score
Big Game for me every time. I tend to use the 10,12 and 15lb versions and in 12 years I've never had a problem with it. If you know someone who's going to the USA then get them to grab you a load - a 1/4lb spool (approx 1500yds of 12lb) costs 7 dollars. Works out about ?4.50. Bigger spools work out cheeper still. Bargain!

U

unknownforce

an update from two weeks ago:

i ended up going for simano gte-b's and i am well impressed. the okumas were ok, but compared to these they dont cut it. i bought them from climax tackle and each reel comes with a free rucksack (Ebay!).

I have also spooled up with Berkeley Vanish 14lb (.30mm !!)and i am even more impresed with this line. its a fluro but is a lot limper than x-line and the memory is fantistic, it hung straight off of the packaged spool! it also changes colour in the light and although i dont know why, it looks the nuts when its glowing golden on your reel, hehehehe

used all my new gear for a short 5 hour session in the rain this morning and had my first fish of the year, so im well chuffed - obviously all down to me new reels of course ;0)

Golden

Reaction score
Good work unknownforce, nothing quite like a the first fish on new gear. Makes the expense so much easier to bear!
Keep your eye on the Berkley Vanish. I've been using it in 6lb for fly fishing and have had a few problems with it fraying after catching a couple of fish.
I might have had a duff batch, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.

U

unknownforce

thanks for that golden, i will keep watch and let you know (fraying how?)