Why no Catch & Release

B

Blank Day Bob

I went to a well known fishery in Sussex Sunday, paid my ?25 for a day ticket/4fish. Big sign at the entrance to the waters " No Catch & Release, All Fish Must Be Killed"
I fished a Viva and had 3 Rainbows between two - two and half pound in 40mins. Wanting a bit more sport I fished a Daiwl Bach and had a four and half pounder on my next cast.
Problem now is I have been fishing for under an hour and got my 4 fish limit.
I would gladly have put all these fish back undamaged, I'm sure you'll all agree that we get no pleasure out of killing a good healthy fish and its pointless taking home more than you need for the pot. Probably 1 fish.
My question to you guys is whats with the no catch & release policy?
Is it to ensure the quality of the fish stock, ie no damaged fish returned, or as I suspect purely a commercial decision by the fishery.
I fell for it and paid another ?25 and spent the rest of the day experimenting different patterns and methods, rather than just bash it with the Viva.
Took home 8 fish to 5lb but ?50 lighter and a bit of a bad taste in my mouth ( no I wasn't eating raw fish!)
Any thoughts?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

There are pros and cons with this one Bob.

Generally speaking trout are not like other species in that they are not as tough and will not survive being handled too well. For example I have seen many catch and release fisheries with dead and dying trout in them - especially in the summer months. A trout killed by someone who does not know how to release them is a wasted trout.

Best thing to do with your trout if they are too much for your needs is to give them to people who appreciate them, or even to sell them. This might pay for your ticket.

The rules on correct catch and release are simple. Do not lift the fish out in the net. Keep it in the water. Use barbless or de-barbed hooks and a fine mesh net. Do not handle the fish. Grip the hook with forceps and it will come out easily.

Nurse the fish if you have to.

On many catch and release fisheries, the trout can become very hard to catch. They wise up very quickly if released a few times.

Put and take trout fisheries depend on a turn over of fish, otherwise they are not profitable and would not exist. Many of the large reservoirs such as Grafham and Rutland do not allow catch and release.

I take it your water is in the South of England. They are far more expensive than northern fisheries.

Personally I like a ticket which gives you say 3 fish plus catch and release up to a certain number.

I also like to fish waters that are not easy. That means if you do catch your limit, say 4 fish, you have done very well.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
A cheap solution is to break the point off a few flies you want to try out and fish for "pulls"...
"One off me limit, and I keep losing them!", if the owner should ask.

Paul Daniels 2

Reaction score
Grafham, Ravesnthorpe and Rutland do allow catch and release.
It all depends on wjhat type of ticket you have

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

How long have these waters been allowing C&R Paul?