Birds nests and fixed spool reels....

E

EC

Does anyone ever get a birds nest with a fixed spool reel?

I myself do not, never have had, multi's yes, fixed spools, never!

I just read an article lately in which the author talks about getting birds nests using a fixed spool and I couldn't get my head around how it might happen!

Anybody?

T

Terry D

You can get in quite a tangle if the spool is overloaded with line right to the lip, as then a lot of line will try and peel off at once on the cast, leading to tangles. I know as I've done it Eddie. I never fill to the brim nowadays.

E

EC

Yeah Terry, an over filled spool with line spilling off is one thing, but a birds nest mate?

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
It depends how twisted the line is. You can get real nightmares if you long cast frequently. And the other tanglytastic way of getting a right lash up is if you put the line on the spool incorrectly as you put more twists in the line with each spool revolution. Personally I use the bucket of water technique and all seems well etc

J

jason fisher

the other time you can get them is on cheep reels if the handle winds backwards it can get in a right mess

J

John McLaren

Don't get them often but the main cause, I think, is line twist imparted whilst retrieving under no pressure (eg on the retrieve when long casting with a feeder) and it is definitely more likely to happen when you have only recently spooled up new line if there is too much on.

T

Terry D

It depends on your definition of bird's nest Eddie - is it just any old bad tangled mess. Likewise I've had small tangles due to too much line twist building up.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The only tangles I've had with a fixed spool reel is when winding the bail arm shut after casting, Shimano reels are very prone to this for some reason, they form a sort of loop on the pickup. You cast, start winding tight and suddenly feel something isn't right, when you look down theres one almighty mess on the spool. These sort of tangles can be one helluva job to untangle as well and more than once I've had to break off and re-tie everything. Grrrrrr.

I now close the bail arm manually after casting and never have the problem,(unless I forget, doh!) Kevin Ashurst told me to do it that way when he was a Shimano rep because he'd had that problem as well.

J

john ledger

Depends on what he means by birdsnest.
Does he class looping and twist as birdnest.
Anyone who does a lot of stickfloat fishing on light lines ie 2lb bs will at sometime get a twist or loop.
I run my line through grass to stop twist and only use shallow spools

E

EC

To me a birds nest is what happens when yiou get an over run on a multi, you get good old tangles on fs reels imo!

C

Chris Bishop

Line twist, and smacking a fish with the anti-reverse off.