What Do I Do With My Gear?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
So, we're moving from a 3 bed house to a 2 bed flat (it's a "we want our equity back, kids have all grown up and left, kind of thing"). All very nice and new, very modern etc etc. But where am I going to put my gear?

I've not got a lot but currently it's spread between a spare bedroom, the garage, the shed, a "lean to", the boot of my car and the loft.

The flat's got a couple of cupboards but "she" says the "guest bedroom" is out of bounds. Anyway, her "PA gear" (she's a dance teacher) get's priority.

No garden (great but no shed), no garage, no loft etc etc. Where am I going to put the nets, the casters, the maggots, where's the bait fridge going?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I keep everything in my bedroom, including my fridge.

It's the safest place.

R

Damn good idea Alan. The tackle takes up less room, it actually works out less costly than a lot of coarse fishing and you don't strain your back carrying all that bloody gear around.

And you don't get a load of shit amongst fly fishers like you get amongst barbel fishers for example.

E

EC

Very original Gimp, I bet you thought of that all by yourself!

Neil, I am having the same 'problem' at the moment in that I am also in the process of (trying) to move house, am in a different situation to yourself though with 2 little 'uns etc, but there is no way that I can think about buying a house without a tackle room or v.v.v.secure garage.

At the moment the gear is crammed in what was a downstairs loo, with the smelly and muddiest bits in the garage, along with the majority of the frozen bait!

An option for you maybe a gaff with a second loo or cloak room of sorts, or maybe one of those kick ass steel containers that you see on building sites for outside.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I was thinking about fly fishing again (I packed up fishing entirely in the late 1980's and only came back to it a couple of years ago).

But now I'm back, I can't give up the tench and crucians and anything else that swims, and if I get back into the fly side, then that's more gear......

.... then there's the fly tying stuff, table, vice, dead rabbit, pheasant and other assorted roadkill......

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Not wishing to continue the Liverpudlian stereotyping but....

...there was the time, a long long time ago, we were staying in a hotel in Kirby for a NFA National on the Leeds/Liverpool canal. Our team plus three others in fact, woken up at 3am to find a well informed and organised gang breaking into the coaches and making off with God knows how much gear...

Our team were OK, we were told to sleep with ours!!

B

BLAM

There are lots of commercial storage solutions around so if you don't have anyone you can burden perhaps look into storing your tackle until the house move is well and truly over. I'm not sure I'd want the removals guys dealing with my gear anyway.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Eddie,

Good idea, what's an "en-suite"?? We've got one in the flat, maybe I can hang the nets to dry in there? Will "she" notice?

The container idea is good, we get communal "bike storage" and the complex is "gated" so is pretty secure. I'm off serching the web for solutions...

R

I leave my net to dry in either the kitchen or the car boot.

A good tip to keep car thieves at bay is to allow a good hatch to take place in summer. They think there's a dead body inside!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Baz, yeah, spot on.

I was a young callow youth then and never been north of Watford! We should have realised as soon as we drove into the hotel car park, all that barbed wire and "attendants" (aka guards - who were in on the deal anyway).

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Ya gorra watch dem mickey mousers Neil laaa.

W

Wolfman Woody

If you want tips on where to store you'll have to wait until Peter (tackle tart) Jacobs comes online and posts.

He's got so much gear he rents various warehouses around Salisbury to store it all. Makes Sainsbury look like a firm of paupers!

R

I couldnt get into his house once with the amount of gear.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Neil, decorate the bathroom 'Mediterranean' style, shells on the wall etc: and then have your nets casually festooned across the walls, your rods strategically place to add atmosphere, with luck she'll think you're taking an interest in the decor :eek:]

C

Chub King

I'd say that it sounds as though you're buggered! Get a second place to store all your gear?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The easy solution to this is get rid of the missus mate, then you can use the spare room. Its much cheaper without one as well and all that extra money you will have can be spent on fishing tackle.

I suppose you could put her out on permanent loan like they do with footballers and that way you would save money and get paid for her as well. She would have to visit to cook your meals though but that could be built into the contract eh!