Hello from Sunny South Africa

dezza

Reaction score
Been doing lots of carp fishing on a few local waters and have caught carp t0to 20 1/4 lbs on Laurentia/Rushmere using Pineapple flavoured boilies from the stable of the famed Gandalf/Cliffie Sinclair.

Also caught carp, yellowfish and mudfish from Vaal Dam using traditional methods with paste baits and method feeders.

South Africa appears to be booming in spite of the world recession. Don't see much of the poverty that was around 20 years ago, although there are still problems of course. But generally speaking I had a great welcome.

Carp fishing is getting more and more popular here, especially as it is done in Europe with boilies, bolt rigs, bivvies, bedchairs, buzzers and all the other trappings. All great fun of course. Shortly I will be moveing on to fly fishing, but not for trout, more like bass, catfish and yellowfish.

All the best from SA and totseins kerels

Ron

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

Glad to hear the fishing has been good.

It has been unseasonably very mild with good temperatures here at home too; the rivers have been fishing so well it has been amazing.
Mild almost balmy south west breezes have aided the catches no end too.

The lakes have been fishing their socks off as well, its almost like duffers fortnight came very early . . . . . . . pity you are down there missing it all . . . . . . . .

PS, some of the above might be a slight exageration . . . . . .

dezza

Reaction score
Good to hear you got there alright Ron.Keep your hat on!

Looks like New Zealand is having a re-build ..just for your visit!;)

Being on the Pacific Rim of Fire, NZ gets regular earthquakes, just as Japan and a few other countries does. It was most unfortunate that this one hit the centre of Christchurch. As far as I know, everyththing regarding services and transport is back to normal, but the people will never forget this terrifying catastrophy.

---------- Post added at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:44 ----------

I have caught a few carp in my time, including some big ones, but I've never had the scraps I recently experienced with the Rushmere carp last week. I had 8 from 16 lbs to 20 1/4 lbs in two days. They are long, lean, pristine commons, shaped like barbel and are all muscle. Absolutely no sign of a boilie gut. The 20 pounder streaked off with over 100 metres of line in an unstoppable run - no kidding.

They look like the wild carp of old.

dezza

Reaction score
The species stocked by the various acclimatisation societies in the late 19th and early 20th centuries were the carp, tench, perch and brown trout. The largemouth bass, rainbow trout and smallmouth bass came later.

There are no more tench around, although they did reach weights of up to 19 lbs. Perch did quite well reaching weights of up to 9 lbs. The SA record carp is 64 lbs. LM Bass 16 lbs and SM bass 7 1/2 lbs. I am not sure of the rainbow and brown trout records, but they are each close to 20 lbs.

There is a movement afoot to rid SA waters of non-indigenous fish such as the above. I think they have their priorities wrong and should be concentrating on the elimination of pollution instead.

---------- Post added at 04:18 ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 ----------

Ron
Do you mean proper carp?

Not like those we see in the mags with guts like a Rotherham dinner lady:D

I am informed that many very large carp as are found in France, are fed up on high protein boilies/pellets etc and are not natural fish at all.

The fact that the Rushmere carp are wild, hard fighting fish means little to the fanatical carp anglers of today. I have heard it said on quite a few occasions that weight is the only thing that matters and how a carp looks has no relevance to the matter. That's why some of the latest monsters look so horrid with tatty fins, enormous guts and half their scales missing.

Many of the top carp anglers of today don't even want the fish to fight!

Where the needle on the scales stops is what matters today, nothing else.

Totally wrong in my opinion!

---------- Post added at 04:23 ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 ----------

The species stocked by the various acclimatisation societies in the late 19th and early 20th centuries were the carp, tench, perch and brown trout. The largemouth bass, rainbow trout and smallmouth bass came later.

There are no more tench around, although they did reach weights of up to 19 lbs. Perch did quite well reaching weights of up to 9 lbs. The SA record carp is 64 lbs. LM Bass 16 lbs and SM bass 7 1/2 lbs. I am not sure of the rainbow and brown trout records, but they are each close to 20 lbs.

There is a movement afoot to rid SA waters of non-indigenous fish such as the above. I think they have their priorities wrong and should be concentrating on the elimination of pollution instead.

---------- Post added at 04:18 ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 ----------

I am informed that many very large carp as are found in France, are fed up on high protein boilies/pellets etc and are not natural fish at all.

The fact that the Rushmere carp are wild, hard fighting fish means little to the fanatical carp anglers of today. I have heard it said on quite a few occasions that weight is the only thing that matters and how a carp looks has no relevance to the matter. That's why some of the latest monsters look so horrid with tatty fins, enormous guts and half their scales missing.

Totally wrong in my opinion!

I have heard these big ugly fish described as fine old warriors!

Raddled old tarts would be a better definition!!

noknot

Reaction score
"I am informed that many very large carp as are found in France, are fed up on high protein boilies/pellets etc and are not natural fish at all.

Totally wrong in my opinion!"
What drugs are you on this week Ron???

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I have heard it said on quite a few occasions that weight is the only thing that matters and how a carp looks has no relevance to the matter.
I have to disagree with Noknot here in that there are some carp anglers who do only consider the weight of the fish. Fair enough if that's all that pleases them, but I for one much prefer a nicely formed fully scaled common to many of the exagerated beasts we do so often see in capture photos.

It was a few years ago now that a group of FM carpers went to France and caught many fish up to mid forties, but the nicest and best looking in my mind was a thirty two or so pounder common that was scale perfect and so good looking. I'll try and find the pictures if I can.

OK, found some examples, first is the nice common - lovely fish!

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2471-frconnection9lrg.jpg

Then two others caught by Stu and Rik -

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2472-frconnection4lrg.jpg

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2473-frconnection5lrg.jpg

Now, I have nothing but the utmost respects for Stu and Rik, in fact Rik taught me an awful lot on a day we fished together, but of those three fish, I know which is the one I'd have prefered to have caught.

I should also add that I'm not implying that neither Rik nor Stu only considered weight when catching a fish, I think they were all a little jealous of that big common. ;) And the lucky captor of the common was 'Uncle Brett'.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad you're safe and enjoying life Ron...and still able to coax a rise from t'other hemisphere (which I believe is the appropriate description of the South Yorkshire Lunch Time provider!!)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I recall very large carp coming from a lake at Florida,just outside Jo-burg with one in the region of 60lbs(this from distant memory)back in the late 60's/early 70's............i think I read about it in the Krugersdorp local paper...don't remember any pics though....

cg74

Reaction score
Also caught carp, yellowfish and mudfish from Vaal Dam using traditional methods with paste baits and method feeders.

These "traditional methods" are they traditional too the UK (England) or SA?

Seeing as you're a bit pedantic regards our angling heritage, I done some debunking on dates etc, take a glance: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/carp-fishing/182219-freespool.html

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

Quite right too, alien species should be restricted to where there is an absolute minimal chance of invading into it surrounding habitat, be that river carp in England, barbel (Barbus barbus) in rivers not formerly connected to the Rhine, rainbow trout in British river OR carp in SA.... You agreed not so long ago, not suffering from double standards are you??:rolleyes:

And I'd say in most cases it is easier to right the wrongs resulting from pollution than it is remove invasive alien species; take signal crayfish, nuff said really!

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Totally wrong in my opinion!!

I totally agree (if true) but for any realm of validity in your claim, name names....

Enjoy your hols and leave a few puddle-pigs for the locals.:D
(they can't all be the mutts nuts of anglers, can they??:wh)

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Jeff that was a quote from Ron, not my opinion OK???
I was quoting Ron, but disagreeing with you asking what drugs is he on this week.

He don't need drugs, he's always been like that! :D

It was confusing, I agree.

I still prefer the shape and good looks of a fish rather than just pure weight, though. Crikey, if weight was all that mattered in women, Vanessa Feltz, Anne Widdecombe, and Dawn French would never be off page 3. ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Crikey, if weight was all that mattered in women, Vanessa Feltz, Anne Widdecombe, and Dawn French would never be off page 3.

Oh thank you so much Jeff; it will probably take me the rest of the day to erase that mental image, maybe I'll have to take a walk down the Champs at lunchtime to see some of the lovely ladies who dress so well and seem to simply sashay on by . . . . . . . .

Yup, that'll do it!

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score

Un-informed claptrap Ron.

The majority of French Carp have never seen a Bolie. Your pigeon holeing what is a tiny minority of the waters in France that get excessively fished with Bolies.

I could show you pictures of wild fish from French rivers that are literally as deep as they are long...fat as footballs. In fact I think I posted a picture of one in the past on this very site if you care to look. These fish have not grown like that on a bolie diet. They have grown like that on natural food so for you and all the other people who immediately assume a dropped gut or a fat fish = Bolies then please do a bit more fishing and catch a few more Carp before you jump to conclusions.

I would even go so far as to say the dispite the size of the water, Rushmere fish have FAR, yes thats right, FAR more chance of growing artificially fat on a bolie diet than a huge number of French fish that have never even seen a Bolie.

Thats aside nice to hear your catching a few..makes a change from cranking in those suicidal Trout on bare hooks..;)

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Whether the fish has grown gross on natural food or boilies, it matters not to me. What I don't want to do is catch carp which are the piscatorial equivalents of Dawn French or Ann Widdecombe.

You could hardly call these women perfect specimens of humanity, could you?

As regards Rushmere.

In my opinion there are too many carp in this lake. The big fish, eg the 30 plus fish are not coming out as often as they did. It would be better if some of the carp were removed.

noknot

Reaction score
Surely that is dependant on the strain of Carp, rather than a diet of boilies? I have fished for Carp that have never seen a boilie and the body shapes vary from long and lean to stuby Chubbies, and they were all Commons............