turvey

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
In the early 60's it was the "IN"place
for big chub mainly on Turvey shallows
with quite few 5lbs plus.
It was also reputed that Turvey Mill held Barbel,I know of one lad who claims to have fished for them, and caught.
Hope this gets the ball rolling,I wonder what it's like now.

swanny999

Reaction score
Well i'm finding it very difficult, I've caught nothing so far of any size below the bridge to the spot in the photo.

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Swanny, I'd love to help you out with some uptodate info but I haven't fished there for years, but memory reminds me that most of the chub over 4 lbs to over 5 were caught on the shallows below the Bedford to Northampton road bridge by The Tree Fishes pub.
Andy Chamberlin, a lad in his late teens was the main man on the water, catching a good number of chub over 5 lb mainly early morning, before work on occasions,using trad baits like black slug, crayfish, bread in its various forms, using the free line method when ever conditions suited.
I don't see why the same approach should not work now, but the river may have changed a lot since then, I would like to know what its like now, does it still have the reed mace beds and lovely shallows full of streamer weed ? can you update me Swanny?

swanny999

Reaction score
Below the bridge fast shallows into streamer weed see here to the junction with the stream from the other bridge. In the summer I could see the tail of a couple of largish fish with their heads in the weeds but wasn't able to run a bait down to them without getting strung up in the weed. Water was and still is very clear.
taken in summer Looking to give it a final try this Weds/Thurs in the warmer weather/rain as forecast before the CS

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos mate, its not changed much since my days on the water apparently, I will say it still shouts big fish, surely there must be Barbel on the stretch, they are caught both up and down stream. Let me know how you fair this week.