beau locks

C

Chris Bishop

Another key target is the piranha-like English fish called the ruffe. It has infested Loch Lomond since it was introduced by fishermen in the early 1980s. Experts have warned it will wreck fish-farming operations and angling if it spreads...."

Don't know who wrote this press release but this is total bollocks... Name one water, anywhere in the world where these piranha-like english fish are a problem. Introduced by fishermen..? Who's ever used one of the poxy things for bait..?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Up until the early 90's we never had any Gudgeon in Norway.
Then the German sports anglers introduced them into two lakes near to Tonsberg and they bred like rabbits.

A lot of fun though on a 3m whip ;-)

K

Keith Orange

It's years since I've caught a ruffe, they used to be common on the Yorkshire Ouse.

I just wonder how much of a threat they are to other species. It seem to me that the ruffe is a declining species. For some reason ruffe populations are declining.

Reaction score
Are these Piranha like Ruffe a danger to the wading angler? Are we to be torn to shreds while scraping the lice from fish farms off our wellies? Are they a greater danger to us than eating farmed Salmon more than four times a year? And when am I likely to catch one, or even see a Ruffe?
I believe our MSPs are a bigger threat to the scottish economy.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What tosh.The Piranha Ruffe!!

I can't remember even seeing one in the last 20 years!Maybe they have all eaten each other?

Does anyone catch them anymore or are they fishing's equivalent to white dog s...?

Bring back the Ruffe(aka the Pope)!

R

Rodney Wrestt

They are in my local canal but they seem to go in cycles, every 5 years or so there's a bloom that lasts for a couple of years the they die back till the cycle begins again. It's the same with the gudgeon up here amd I for one love catching both.

"Blaming English pikers has always been the easy option."

Who else would be to blame then Graham???

john hooper

Reaction score
ruffe are common on the canals of south cheshire, i wish they grew as big as perch, a two pound ruffe would be one mean son of a bitch fish.

john hooper