braid?

S

striker

What advantages does braid have over mono and is it worth changing? Also i`ve noticed the likes of matt hayes using light coloured briad whats this all about? many thanks

L

levelspiker

braid has little or no stretch,which enhances bite indication and the hooking of the fish.braid is much stronger than mono of the same thickness,which means less chance of a line breakage if you find a snag,or the fish weeds itself..
i use 40 or 50lb bs braid for deadbaiting (similar diameter to 15lbs mono)and braid between 30lbs bs and 50lbs bs for light\medium lure fishing and 80lbs for big jerkbaits and lures.
as for colour,some anglers prefer bright coloured braid,some use dark colours,it`s just a matter of preferance.
strong line means a short fight and a healthy pike(rather than an exhausted one) when it is returned

K

Keith Orange

Braid has no stretch and its diameter is about half that of nylon. It usually floats although a few brands are designed to sink. It's about three times the cost of nylon. It's said that it's less resistant to friction than nylon, although in my experience I've had no problems with it.

I use 8lb braid for legering at 30 yds or so for bream in a lake - the lack of stretch gives good bite indication. I use the same braid for long distance fishing for chub in rivers with floating crust. It's easier to hit takes with braid.

I use 30lb braid for lure fishing (good bit indication) and deadbait fishing. This strength of braid is good for conservation, because normally you won't leave any snagged up lures/traces on the river bed. A direct pull on the line (wrap the line a few times round a landing net handle) will open up the snagged trebles.

glider

Reaction score
thanks for the replies,went out and bought some this afternoon, just a matter of loading up for next weekend now

C

Chris Bishop

Good stuff mate, braid's the way to go.

Stick about 10yds of strong mono on the spool first, as braid can slip if you don't.

Make sure it goes on really tight, through a wet towel or something.

Make sure the line stays tight when fishing, close the bail arm with your hand and hold the line tight for the first few turns.

Loops of slack cause some ferocious casting tangles.

So does line twist, one way to reduce it is cut the tails off your baits so they don't spin up on the retrieve.

L

levelspiker

opening the bail arm instead of using the baitrunner reduces line twist too.
every couple of trips,i take my rigs of,pull forty odd yards off the spool(out in the garden)and wind it back on under tension.i also make sure that the line comes of the filler spool in the same direction as i wind it onto the reel when i`m filling a reel.i find that tangles and wind knots are a very rare occurnce doing this.

T

Tomo(b.a)

Once you use ya braid for pike fishing u will never look back........

L

levelspiker

Once you use ya braid for pike fishing u will never look back.
GRRRRRRRRRRR I HATE TEXT SPEAK!!!!!!

boz

Reaction score
I've been using power pro for 2 winters now (thanks to the advise of some of the guys on here)& had no probs at all.You can cast further,no line twist & it last for ever.

glider

Reaction score
i bought the spider wire brand let you know how i get on

C

Chris Bishop

Super braids are usually thinner, whatever you do buy by diameter, not breaking strain.

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
If it's for Pike then Power Pro the braid to buy, I've tried loads of different braids over the years and this is definately the dog's boll**s, the original one used to leave you covered in a green dye but they've cured that now, and it floats, great for using drift floats.

C

Chris Bishop

I use PP in 50lbs for float fishing, pencils and deads on pits, some river stuff etc.

65lbs for legering, fishing off the boat etc.

Can't fault the stuff and you can get it seriously cheap if you shop about.

Place in Devon called Summerlands also does Fireline at a good price, I've used the 30lbs for both the above for years and never had a problem with that.

A

Andy Doughty

If I was buying now, I would get 50lb Power Pro, but cant fault the 30lb Fireline that has been on my reels for 4 years now. Might change it round, so the other end gets an airing, next season. If that lasts the same, its 8-10 years of fishing for ?30 a reel. Bargain.

P.S. I used to change my mono once a month because it got so messed up I didnt trust it. So the braid must be doing something right....

T

Tomo(b.a)

how can i stop my braid drifting? it drifts with the flow of the river which in turn drags my float out of my swim,ive tried sinking my line ect.HELP......

K

Keith Orange

Use a bigger float and a bigger lead, fish overdepth with the lead touching the bottom. If the current is not too strong, the lead will drag and then hold.

But in some swims the current will be too strong, either:

1 - the float will sink under the force of the current, but the lead holds on the bottom.

or 2- both lead and float are dragged downstream. In this case add more lead or reel the float nearer to the bank, where the current should be less powerful.

If you are fishing with the lead dragging the bottom, it's sometimes better to rig the float so that it is attached bottom only (like a waggler) rather than sliding through the centre of the pike float. With a waggler style set up, bites are spootted earlier, since you normally get a gentle lift bite before the float sinks away.