Scottish Record goes again...

R

Rob Brownfield

I have just heard that the Scottish carp record has been broken about a month ago. (Takes a long time for news to travel the glens and mountains..lol)

It now stands at a colossal....28lbs+! We are catching up!. It came from the lovely quiet Hogganfield Loch...and if any of you know Glasgow, you will realise that it takes a VERY brave man to fish Hogganfield.

This water is fairly big, and 30's have been rumoured for a few years now. Anglers mail have had a few upper 20's in it from Hogganfield in the past, but usually under a different name.

Anyway, well donr to the lad that caught it.....maybe the next one will be a 30!

K

keith reid

Yep , well done indeed. You need Armalites to fish at Hogganfield.And I'm not talking about the rods!

R

Rob Brownfield

Keith, I presume u are living in Scotland too. Do u know who took it? My mate Steve Harris was having a concerted attack on Hogganfiels, along with Phil Baigent...both were shot at with a hunting rifle...not an air rifle....but a proper hunting rifle...mad!

K

keith reid

I live in Plymouth now but I know Hogganfield. I don't know who got it as I'm off the grapevine down 'ere. I'm sure they'd know at P&D in Cumbernauld . I'll be back up in Scotland again for good in the summer , but I'll be giving Hogganfield Loch a wide berth. I was shot at several times with an air gun on the F&C canal though!

R

Rob Brownfield

Keith, the joys of Scottish fishing!!!..lol
Lanark Loch is another good water for practicing your skirmish skills!..lol

J

John Spink

Rob,
Can't you take the hint mate?? One day I'll hit you!! LOL...Sounds like a good fish and I would suggest a VC for the captor.I believe the 1st Battalion the Scottish Carp Catchers are being secrectly assigned to the Afghan theatre soon.!!

R

Rob Brownfield

LOL...Jown, Dunmore Loch was in one of the weeklies the other day....did u know there are 20 pound carp in there....lol

J

John Spink

Nah, but I guess they must be growing...I have known about them for ten years at least....They were c5-7 lbs then....What weekly was it in??? Also, I guess they could have stocked??...Anyway we must go again sometime, that Tench day was great!! Pity we could not repeat our morning Tench then a Carp (your crackin' Common!) in the afternoon effort.....

R

Rob Brownfield

As you may be aware, the water has been openned up now and is twice the size. I am not sure if its been stocked, but i will call mitchells and find out.

I am off piking this weekend...yipee..or though i may give Dunmore a bash if its warm...will have to wait and see.

K

keith reid

Dunmore has been stocked , but not altogether sucessfully. I seriously doubt the presence of a 20 lb carp , though there are carp present. They have been very elusive and very few have come out in recent times that I've heard of and I know a couple of guys who fish it regular.
It is very scenic and there are still good tench there ..getting a bit late in the year maybe. Perch were introduced to lower the numbers of sticklebacks a few years ago and they have thrived better than the carp that were stocked. They would be a decent prospect and have come out to 2 lbs recently. A few pike are also there , but I don't think anyone has fished seriosly for them yet.

R

Rob Brownfield

Keith, John and I fished it a few years ago and had a great days Tenching. Las time we spoke the the Copper that controls it, he told me it was fishing shite for some reason. They had just made it larger by openning the back water and that knocked the fishing for 6.

I love the plave...lillies, bubbles etc :eek:)

D

David OLoughlin

I'm sorry, did I read being shot at? Where the hell is this place? Is this people having a laugh, are they serious or are they trying out shots from a mile away?

R

Russell Manhire

Did I read somewhere that there is a Green Paper in front of the Scottish Parliament that will seriously affect Coarse Fishing in Scotland???

Something about a 'Rod in Hand' Rule

Cheers
Russ

R

Rodney Wrestt

Sorry about the late post, I've only just read the thread. Hoganfield loch is not as bad as you are making out we fished there almost every weekend during the winter and quite a few in the summer. The largest carp we had was 18lb 4oz and this was a couple of years ago. We fish for the pike but on occasion we are drawn to the fish as they swim by in the margins, I've personally seen a couple that I would say are close to 30lb, literally 2 feet from the bank. There are also decent pike, large perch, huge shoals of roach and breem (or there was now there are cormorants on the water who knows) also some tench and guess what it's free fishing. If the natives get restless giving the biggest one a bit of a slap (with a peg mallet or baseball bat) usually works. <Grin> When they shoot at you they are only having fun don't phone the police as you'll only upset them. Heh heh heh. :-}~

R

Rob Brownfield

Rod....lol...true.

Its not tooooo bad in daylight hours...its just when the sun goes down..lol

D

David OLoughlin

Does anyone remember the chap with the fishing rod in the New Avengers, the one where Purdey lost half her clothes?
Would that work as a means of self defence?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Rob,
It's like a scene from the film "The Fog" if you turn up just at the right time in the A.M. you get to see them rolling away in the distance. ;-}~

David,
Coooorrrrr, yeeeeaah I remamber that one. I had to take the missus to hospital after trying that, damnd treble hooks. ;-}~

D

David OLoughlin

wasn't that based in Scotland?
I thought it was a Scotish fisherman's heratige, a deer, a salmon, a whisky & the chance to rip Purdey's clothes off with a spinner!

B

Bob Car

All this talk of guns and shooting at people I had to re-read the opening page and check the title of this thread cause I was begining to wonder if its title was "Carp Fishing In Afghanistan" by Asama bin Laden. LOL. Didnt Purdey have the best pair of gills on TV at the time.