9 Years since the last time i went fishing but today i made my comeback

harristom85

Reaction score
and it was a bust, i never caught a thing, not even a bite or a nibble 8 hours of sitting watching a rod tip/float and i have to say it was probably one of the best days i've had in a long time, even though i didn't catch anything i had a blast trying to remember everything i learned in preparation for this day. A cold miserable start to the day then a 2 mile walk with kit, then fumbling around kicking over things at my peg. I lost floats, shots, a ton of bait (which swans and ducks seemed to enjoy) then the clouds effed off and it was a beautiful day, i spent most of the day trying different baits, maize, frenzied hemp, groundbait, hard pellets, soft pellets, soggy pellet, luncheon meat, i had none of this last time i went fishing, i had a tub of maggots and that was it but even though i blanked i'm going to conquer Corby Boating Lake, i've already bought new baits to try and some new bits of tackle, i cannot wait to get back out there on the pegs looking for different areas to try and techniques as soon as i catch something i'm sure everyone will hear about it, on another note i already have my first fishing grievance, about midday a kid turned up asking people fishing how there day was going then about 30 mins later he came back with a rod and a f*@cking buzzer system, cast out into everyone eles's swims, lit up a fag and went to talk to his pals, wheres the skill or technique in that, i found it an absolute joke , some people eh?.
:D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
welcome back to fishing. Nice to see you are trying some new baits. But I think your old tub of maggots would have caught you a few fish today ........

harristom85

Reaction score
yeah i could have caught some small roach and perch but where's the fun in doing something that guarantee's you a catch, at the minute for me it's all about experimenting, going to get some maggots for mon morning though going to see if i can get a decent size perch if there are any, i've only ever caught 4-5 oz ones.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Had you caught 2 x 2lb roach,a 7lb chub or a large carp you might have thought it had become all too easy during your years away and would now be sitting at home bored, and thinking of going to the pub to drown your sorrows....

As it is you have now joined the long list of 'failed miserably' anglers who,no doubt will also go again very soon and probably fail again....and again....and again....

Welcome back, glad you enjoyed your day....and that your catches will improve with the weather!!

Nobody can say you didn't try..........................

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Welcome back, but that's how it goes, you learn more from a blank than you do from bagging up.

The weather hasn't been kind these past few nights, frosts, so maybe wait until the average day/night temperature warms a little. Don't expect miracles even with a new bait.

Good luck and keep posting.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I went today (fishing that is), in car park getting setup only to be told by passerby that it's now closed. Gutted as fish topping everywhere. Even websit closed.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

At least you enjoyed your day harristom85.

bigchub

Reaction score
i'm going to conquer Corby Boating Lake
:D

Would that be the Corby Boating Lake in Corby Northamptonshire?
If so I've fished there a number of times when I used to live just up the road. Derek McDonald (BIG pike man) used to run it then and there were some big carp and tench in there. I also understand that it was drained and netted to remove all the snags and obstacles (bodies, shopping trolly's, cars, terrapins, etc etc!), but don't know if they restocked or just returned the fish. Mind you this is going back quite a number of years. Incidentally Corby Boating Lake was where I first caught a fish on a boilie - a 6lb tench. Ah good memory's! :cool:

harristom85

Reaction score
Would that be the Corby Boating Lake in Corby Northamptonshire?
If so I've fished there a number of times when I used to live just up the road. Derek McDonald (BIG pike man) used to run it then and there were some big carp and tench in there. I also understand that it was drained and netted to remove all the snags and obstacles (bodies, shopping trolly's, cars, terrapins, etc etc!), but don't know if they restocked or just returned the fish. Mind you this is going back quite a number of years. Incidentally Corby Boating Lake was where I first caught a fish on a boilie - a 6lb tench. Ah good memory's! :cool:

yeah this is theeeeee corby boating lake, i think they lost quite a few of the big ones, i know they had double figure carp in there but the first time they drained it they found green algy which was killing the fish, then they drained it again a year or so ago and rebuilt it which has ruined it in my opinion they tried to make it more of a bird conservation place which so far has failed because all the vegetation and reeds and so on has either died or looks to have been trampled to death, but i've seen it being fished quite a lot still.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`ve taken many a walk around the boating lake and heard that many folk moaning that they`ve caught nothing and it`s **** etc..... There is a little bit more to it than turning up and just throwing maggotts in and goodness what else and thinking you`re just gonna catch.Maggotts should catch you everything and anything there,i have also had plenty of success in the past with good old sweetcorn,pellets,hemp,elderberries and flavoured meat.
The best bait by far i reckon,is bread but don`t tell everyone ;) .
Think about how you`re feeding and fishing and you shouldn`t go far wrong.
The derek macdonald time was the best at the boating lake but i think he got fed up with the greedy envious eyes that were watching and the sniping and bitching to the council. Since then it`s had a major overhall....drained,de-silted,platforms installed and a silt trap installed.
As for the two islands,well they`re a complete *uck up in my opinion.The original ones that the birds used to rest on and nest,have been shored up/secured using silt from the lake bed.One looks constantly semi flooded and the other looks like a mini lagoon!!! There must be some limited nesting as i`ve seen some cignets and ducklings. There needs to be a cull of geese in my opinion as there is goose poop all over the bloomin place !!!
The new owner seems an ok chap though and i suppose it can`t be easy trying to please everyone but in my opinion,the place aint what it used to be and it`ll be a long time before i will fish there again.

Last edited: