The old conundrum returns

quickcedo

Reaction score
I was asked today to take a work mate fishing. He wants to learn so he can take his son.
Do I take him to the local Carp puddle or do I show him some reel fishing on the river or canal?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
He wants you to take him fishing so he can then teach his son! How easy does he think this fishing lark is? I've spent 40 years at it and still learning, or forgetting!:rolleyes:
Mark just take his son, perhaps that's what he wants. Peace and quiet while his son is out fishing.

sagalout

Reaction score
It is better to have caught in a puddle than to never have caught at all.

quickcedo

Reaction score
A good point. I am honestly torn between the two. I can see the right and wrong of both but I'll take the majority view.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Providing it's not full of chunky carp (fish over 4lbs and upt to 20) and there are other species in there then the commercial would be fine. Reason being, the youngster will be catching (hopefully) and plenty of opportunity to show him how to net, unhook, return the fish, and hook the bait on.

cg74

Reaction score
Mark, if you're taking him to a river, don't bother with your local one, unless a lesson in the noble art of blanking is sought.:(

Canal has a few good areas but unless an angler can cast well or use a pole, don't bother, also it'll still be hard up til mid spring when the water warms and those damned boats start moving.:eek:

Plenty of lakes around you for anglers of all abilities and to suit their aspirations/needs.:)

Go for a lake and pick one that'd suit him best.

jonty 2

Reaction score
Not keen on muddy puddles BUT beginners and kids need bites to keep the interest up. Get them on somewhere comfortable with plenty of bites from small fish and where they can watch other anglers as well. If you're taking them on a river then you may break them before they start.

Don't listen to the idiots banging on about 'real fishing' this is a beginner we're talking about and his child to boot so get on an easy commercial somewhere. Then if they take to fishing they can decide for themselves in a few years whether they want to experience this so called 'real fishing'. Where's the fun for someone, new to the sport, staring at a motionless rod top or float or balancing precariously on a river bank.

Take them somewhere stuffed with fish and is comfortable, clean and maybe has a few other facilities

Start them at the beginning not the end.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Where ever you take him make sure he catches fish and catches easily - nothing like struggling to put of a newbie

then when he and his son are ready introduce othere venues - but stick to one place where ever you go for the first few trips
get them used to the place so they know the water then slowly build up their skills

Ian Morgan

Reaction score
Although I don't fish them much, some commercials are actually quite pleasant, not just "muddy puddles" and have a good mixed stock - try and find one such near you as a sort of compromise??

Ian

matthew barter

Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain but I'd go for the river or canal. You know them so you'll have to decide.
Reasons being, he might feel less self concious when not surrounded by others, he might already have an idea about fishing being something of an escape into the wild. I know lots of people will disagree with me but he also might find the whole idea of a commercial fishery so utterly depressing that he leaves his tackle and walks off to find something more interesting to look at outside. I'm not sure that every one craves instant riches,it might be that he or his son want to share an experience that is rewarding, inetresting and varied.
Which ever you decide I hope they find what they are looking for, good luck.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Unless you live on a well stocked easy river or canal?
Hahahahahaha well stocked with 1oz Bleak maybe

Thanks for the replies guys, the commercial seems to be winning the day.
Matthew, I absolutely respect what you're saying. I'll have to have a bit of a chat to the workmate.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No contest...commercial. When you first start/try this lark going fishing is about catching fish.To a novice nothing else really matters,only later do those of us who decide this is our thing start to appreciate the "other" side to angling & start to serve what may well be a life long apprenticeship. Let him catch a few fish and see if he likes it....I can think of nothing worse than a grueller with very little to show for it as an introduction. Plenty of time for all the rest of it later.

As for the father/son/quality time/bonding thing then if Dad thinks "going fishing" is a way of doing that [he does or he wouldn't have asked] then I cannot see how a few "easy" fish can do anything but help. If there is even the tiniest spark of potential angler in either of them then they will love a day on a half decent commercial. You can explain why its not always that easy later.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Take him on a commercial, but fish for the silverfish not the carp, failing that the canal;

noknot

Reaction score
DITTO!

Being a Carp angler I fish for Carp, however not when I started! Rudd, Roach, small Perch, Skimmers then on to the Mighty Tench!
Leave to Carp alone as they will miss so much! After time, then maybe go for a Carp...

marginman

Reaction score
My first post on here , I read this thread with interest as being someone who has come back to Fishing after many years I was pleased to use the commercials to build my confidence up again.

I only went with a mate while I was recovery from a op to keep him company and by the end of the day was all keen again, mainly down to the amount of stock they now keep in these lakes I can practice then go onto my local river as intended when I feel ready. Which I am looking forward too.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Much as I love my river fishing, safety must be your first consideration when dealing with beginners. Take them on a stillwater and if they fall in they stay where they are, within easy reach of the bank!