Shimano baitrunner st 6000, daiwa regal plus 4000 OR daiwa procaster 4000

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
to whom it may interest,
after waiting for a reply that was actualy useful to my other question, i have decided between 3 baitrunner style reels for a prodigy sx 3lb tc rod. It would much appreciated for any help choosing.

sam vimes

Reaction score

mol

Reaction score
I thought the answers in your other post where spot on. Without knowing where you fish and the type of fishing you're planning on then that really is the best answer.

Me, I would go for a shimmy baitrunner over a dawia reel. Look around and you'll be able to find a good deal. Personally I would move up to a 8000 size but it's up to you.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Entirely agree with Mol.

Out of the three, the Shimano for me.

You seem to have chosen a long range rod but are looking at medium range reels.:confused:

What sort of water are you going to use them on and at what range?

Stu

cg74

Reaction score
TBH the Shimano ST6000 and Daiwa RP 4000 are more suited to tench and barbel fishing, as such just won't be balanced on your rods, I'm guessing it'll be the same scenario with the Daiwa Procaster 4000, what with it also being a 4000 sized reel though I've not seen one too comment on.

Regardless of whether you're fishing at 30-40 yards or 100-120 yards you need a balanced tackle set up. When I had a set of Greys 3lb test prodigy's, yes they were used for my med-long range fishing, I primarily used them when fishing at 50+ yards and coupled them with Shimano LC Baitrunners (which are the original big pit reels).
Both rods and reels were more than capable of being used at 20-120 yards. Plus with a bigger spooled reel you'll get significantly less line twist than with a smaller diameter one.

Thing is unless you get various rods and reels to cover every eventuality (which I used to and then it gets damned expensive), a compromise is needed. I sold my Greys rods and Shimano reels preferring to keep my Rod Hutchinson 2.75lb Intuitions, which are coupled up with Wychwood Epic 10K's. For no better reason than I liked them more, can't say exactly why, just do!?!

So in essence if you know your rods like them and are looking for a set of three decent reels to go on them costing upto £70 each, I recommend a set of Wychwood Epic 10K's if you think most of your fishing will be in the 30-80 yard range and if you're thinking of going beyond 80 yards, go for the Wychwood Equinox 12K's.
Smooth reels, not clunky like every Shimano I've ever owned and an excellent silky free flowing clutch, again the opposite of Shimano's with their notoriously notchy clutches.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Said it many times, the Diawa Procaster 4000 is one of (if not) the best reel in that size i have ever had, had problems with shimanos in the past and a very poor after sales service, but each to their own.

Agree that the rods and reels dont balance.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Thans to everyone who psted and i have taken into consideration everyones comments. i am 80% likely to chose the Wychwood Epic 10K's but seen as as no one knows much about the daiwa procaster, it would be much appreciated if i can have any info or whether it could go with the 3lb tc greys prodigy sx rod.
thanks.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If your using 3lb TC rods then the procaster reels are no good for you, great reels for fishing upto around 70 yards, remember they are not a big pit reel.

You could fish much further out with them, but you wouldnt have much line left on the reel if you got a screamer.

If your not fishing at distance, why are you using 3lb TC rods ???

canalcamper

Reaction score
i have apair of wychwood exorcist big pit free spin reels,same trimming as rest anti tangle etc.have a look not let me down.