Cakey Help - Smartcast Mod

Johno

Reaction score
I think this is one 4 Cakey, I have read all the posts on the smartcast mod and have had ago myself, I have an American RF15 unit (916.5 mhz) and started out with a telescopic Ariel but I was always fiddling with the length. I get a clear reception at approx 80 yds any further and I get duff information (fish every were). Can any one advise what is the best aerial lengths, material, do I need a ground plane etc and what sort of range is achievable, any information and other peoples test results would be much appreciated

Johno

Reaction score
Has any one got any new info for me, all the info on this forum is a bit scatey

C

Cakey

sizes as follows

full wave =12.32"
half wave =6.13"
quarter wave =3.06"

these are for 916.5 models only

Johno

Reaction score
I have got my RF45 transmiter, blob on @ 6.13" , What is the best length for the RF15 areial 12.32" or 6.13" and what sort of range should i be acheaving,

Johno

Reaction score
I'v herd its posible to get 250 Meter range, is this posible, if so how, iv been messin with areial lengths for weeks now, sorry to be a pain but how do you tune / measure your aireal length acuratly

C

Cakey

they are only 100 ft when standard so realistically 300ft is going to be max without amplifiers and bigger batteries etc

Johno

Reaction score
Have you looked into amplifiying the signal or bigger batteries, I read Brian Newton (Sectoriouse or what ever he was called) post who says he gets over approx 300 meters with the UK RF15 unit, Is there a machine / test to tune the areial to exacly the right length (multi meter or one of them SWAR meters?) sorry to be a pain but i want to get the best out of the modification and don't want to wast time trying to acheave distance what is'nt posible without to much messing around

C

Cakey

I modified my own unit and fitted it into a microcat,I got distances of around 120 yds ............................plenty for me and so that was the end of my story.....sorry I cant help

Johno

Reaction score
Thanks cakey for your help, think i will just keep experimenting with aireal lengths,

Just in case any one was woundering, the American spec (916.5mhz) are legal over here and I payed ?86.97 for my RF15 including P&P, a lot cheeper than the UK modle

UHF High (902-928) MHz
This is the new ?Junk Band? where operation is license free. Like the 49 MHz band, this range is typically not suitable for wireless microphones because of numerous consumer products, such as cordless telephones, toys, etc. that use these frequencies. In addition, the 902-928 band allows for operation of transmitters up to 50 watts of output power. High power transmitters in nearby locations tend to desense the receiver and make low power wireless microphone systems unusable and subject to serious performance problems. For this reason, serious wireless microphone manufacturers have shied away from this band of frequencies.

Johno

Reaction score
Cakey,

How are you,i'm still messing with the smartcast mod, I have prity much I think got the range to as far as it will go approx 150 yds. I am now looking at installing the transmiter in the standard AT bait boat. I have read your posts and was woundering do you have to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat for the modified float half or can you just simply desolder all the parts from the float, extend the wires and attach the transducer to the inside of the hull ????

and

on your RF15 does the image on the display turn into sort of a bar chart when you get past 20 yds (not a constent line) mine does

Your advise would be much appreciated

C

Cakey

I desoldered the parts and fit them inside a water proof box just ahead of the battery compartment above the recess in the hull
I also fit an on/off switch to the box [you dont want it on every time you go out]
the switch is then accessible from the battery compartment
all this can be done with out seperating the hull
if you want more help Ill e-mail my mob no to you

Johno

Reaction score
I have the standared AT bait boat so ill have to split the boat in half, do you have to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat for the transducer or will it sense through the bait boat hull and whats the display like on your RF15 base unit, do you get this bar chart efect like i do ???

My email address is paul_johnson69@hotmail.com

Please email me any info

cheers

C

Cakey

the working part [transducer ]is sealed to the bottom of the float [orange or green]this must not be remove otherwise it will never work again [specially sealed]
the tranducer wont work through a cat hull so I doubt that it will work through the standard
this means that you could glue the whole bottom half of the float to the bottom of you hull

and no my display is ok all the way out and so are the other 47 that Ive done

Johno

Reaction score
Cheers Cakey you've saved me some time there, you've done 47 mods to smartcast you should sell them on ebay (some one already is), how do you tune the arials or do you just meassure them with a rule

Johno

Reaction score
cheers for your help, i'am off to do some more tests down the weaver, i would be very thank full for any info emails to help me on my quest

B

BLAM

>so are the other 47 that Ive done.

You offer a smartcast modding service?

B

BLAM

But 50 is a nice round number and would be a mark of achievement. I can help you to get nearer it!