Rod License

U

unknownforce

having just bought a 3rd rod and needing to buy another license, i got thinking about the license and wondered if others have any views.

considering the popularity of carp fishing and that the majority of us use 3 rods and most day tickets charge for 3 rods without concessions, why cant we buy a bloody 3 rod license!!

it never concerned me when i was a wee lad, in fact it was a bonus to chuck a ledger out while i concentrated on the float

maybe i am naive and they just have no reason to change it for any other price plan (1 rod, two rod, three rod, four rods anybody) or they will lose money

F

Frothey

its a rip off, but then its only the same as a kilo or so of bait....which is more of a rip off!

worse back when we had to buy difference licences for different areas

S

Spoddy

Think the license system is cockeyed.
Times have changed but the two rod rule is still there,funny but the price keeps changing tho.

Also lots of disabled anglers not getting disability living allowance have lost the chance to have a reduced licence fee,as they say they have to have a disabled parking badge now.

That's it Ive had my moan now,goin to get a vodka.

Tim Ridge 2

Reaction score
I do have a lot of simpathy for anyone who has to live with a disability but money can only compensate so much!
My parteners Daughter gets D.L.A and the other benefits that go with it and I'll tell you that compared to what most working people in my area earn they are onto a bloody good thing. Why then should they get consessions? Claire (my parteners daughter) has far more disposable income than Jane and I put together.
The only ones who I do have simpathy with are those who should be entitled to it but get fiddled by the govenment!

On the subject of rod licences (2 rods) I think it's about time our govening bodies intervened (again) and did something about it!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I still think that the rod Licence is a rip off, always have done and still stand by that. I buy them because if i don't i'm breaking the law. But i've not yet ever read a good argument for Anglers having to pay out for this enforced tax!!!!!

National River Authority???? NO
EA????? NO

Can anyone tell me where the money goes?, how about x the number of licences by the amount, that gives us a figure, so where is it spent?

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I dont have a problem with paying for a rod license, I don on occasion see people from the EA working and read more about the good they do, the current rod license is a bargin, IMHO. It is not ideal though, you should be able to select, when you buy the license, wether you want to be able to fish with 1,2,3 or even 4 rods and then you should be charged accordingly. Dsoent really bother me too much though as I never fish with more than two rods so the one license covers me.

Joskin

Reaction score
Well said Paul.

Its such a small cost too its hardly worth fretting over guys.
Stop being tight pay it and enjoy your fishing.
I see so many anglers browsing the tackle shops and buying all manner of wierd and wonderfull bits of tackle that are designed to catch the angler and paying an absolute fortune for it. The majority of these are Carp anglers that are spending ?25 per 24 hours fishing at the near by Linear complex or obesne amounts on a syndicate membership. They seem most concerned with paying ?20 odd for a years rod licence.

A*s* about face it seems.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

That sums the moaners up perfectly Jos.
Hundreds of pounds worth of gear and object to buying an extra licence.

Peter Webb 4

Reaction score
Some of these guys moaning about rod licences would think nothing of spending a couple of hundred quid on Realtree or cammo clothing.We are talking here about something that costs less than a pound a week for 3 or 4 rods.You also have to have a television licence but considering the crap that's on TV I know (if I had to choose)what I would rather spend my money on.Also.and I know this doesn't have anything to do with rod licences,how many of you belong to the ACA?.Everyone who goes fishing should be a member.

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

It makes less sense not to buy one mate.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Thats the RUB though Baz, you have to buy one, or two in my case. But Why?

I pay for club tickets, syndicate tickets and day tickets on canals and commercials, but why do i have to pay the EA?

You even have to pay them if you want to fish your own water on your own land.

S

Spoddy

Its not the cost thats the issue here.

Its just not up to date.

Lots of anglers i know prefer to float fish with only one rod but are paying for two.

Paul thread said it all,you should be allowed to select how many rods you want to fish with and be charged for each.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
And why do they start the licence from 1st April. is that some sort of sick joke???

Our traditional season starts on 16th June, I know it's all changed these days, but most other licences that i know of, run for 1 year from the month you paid for it, so why does the EA one run until just the end of March and then need renewing????????

If you dont fish for the start of the season and say start during the school holidays (end of July) you will still have to pay for a year, WHY?

The two rod thing is also a very valid point. A lot of people only fish with the one, matchmen come to mind, so why would they need a piece of paper that allows them to fish with two rods?

The rod licence is just a tax which the old NRA and now the EA can expect coin it in from every April 1st, which i suspect corresponds with their end of year accounts.

D

David Gifford

Beats wasting money on sea fishing though!

I understand where unknown force is coming from though.

These people that run these rules are very elusive.

I Have tried to become a part time baliff for my local area, have spoken to and E mailed various people from this elusive organisation over many months, but have had no response.

They come and go like buses, then dissapear into the night.

It does make you wonder where all the money is going, we are told where it should be going, but do we ever see the results. Other than so called full time officers in their two's, visiting the same venues week in week out, then dissappear.

Thats if the sun is out of course.

Might write to some of the carp mags to get some real answers.

Tight lines..

C

Cakey

4xrod for less than a quid a week..............tight gits

beer is now approx 20 quid a gall and no one moans.....................

Joskin

Reaction score
"And why do they start the licence from 1st April. is that some sort of sick joke??? Our traditional season starts on 16th June"

Try telling that to the Trout anglers Murray! also 1st April is during the closed season on rivers so it is very fair to river anglers too.

Do any of you read the "reel life" magazine that is sent to every rod licence holder in the country? If you did you would find allot of answers in there as to where the money go's.

If you want to fish twice as many rods as the rest of us then you should pay twice the money.

U

unknownforce

that the point joskin, assuming you use 2 rods, i want to fish 1.5 times more than you and the bloke down sream with a whip wants to fish half as much as you. im not moaning about the money, just makes bollox all sense!

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

We all have the same choice as to how many rods we want to use (club permitting) All you have to do is pay for them.
What can be fairer than that?