Whose River

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob,

You seem to have made a few far reaching and incorrect statements in your otherwise interesting article.

Firstly, you appear to elude to the fact that syndicate members only pay their syndicate dues and nothing else ? wrong ? we all buy EA licenses as well Bob.
So there you are, syndicate members are just the same as you!
We all paid for years and years to assist in the river benefits that you so eloquently describe.

Secondly, and I can only speak for my own syndicate, we not only re-stock at reasonable intervals, but have also provided wider and deeper side streams for Roach to breed, carry out extensive bank-side improvements and have proper licenses to maintain the black peril at bay.

From what I have seen of my other local clubs Bob, CAC and RADAA our syndicate members do a damn sight more for conservation and replenishment than do the majority of ordinary club members.

I can fully understand the sadness that you and others feel at the loss of a ?prime? fishery, but let?s be honest shall we ? would you actually enter into a rolling lease Bob for a prime venue? ? of course you damn well wouldn?t, and if you would, then please let me know because I have this bridge in New Jersey that I can sell you ? its going really cheap ;-)

How many clubs and fishing organisations run their leases through a decent lawyer Bob?
I?d hazard a guess at very few ? although, our syndicate certainly did and we have that venue for many more years to come, and at about ?200 per annum per person.

Another point you seem to avoid is that the old style Midlands and Northern Clubs were the Mr. Loadsamoney?s from yester-year Bob ? nothing has changed other than the big clubs became smaller with less members and drying funds!
Back in the 60?s and early 70?s did a small club get more than a cursory look-in when it came to a prime venue?
No way Jose!
No, they were all snapped up by the big boy clubs with ?loadsamoney?

I didn?t hear you, or others, complaining back then Bob.