Braid Tangleing

Johno

Reaction score
I'v just started using braid on my marker float set-up,on 1 out of every 3 castes the braid always tangles. I think i put it on the reel right, has any one got any ideas how to stop this?

Johno

Reaction score
Yes, i put the spool in the sink in warm water then wound it on and it still tangles like a buger

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Check there isn't a loop of slack forming when you engage the pick-up. It can be rubbed over the spool on a subsequent cast, carrying with it a couple of turns which were on top of it. If you miss those, the next one will be a real macrame nightmare.

Dragging the rod-tip slightly to one side as you begin to wind usually stops this from happening.

C

Chris Bishop

Could also be line twist, is one of the fins on the float slightly bent so it spins up as you retrieve..?

I used to get this from time to time piking, I cured it most of the time by trimming tails and fins off baitsb if I'm casting any distance and (sounds stupid) not reeling in like a maniac.

Flat-profile braids like Whiplash and Outcast are quite bad for this.

W

Wolfman Woody

What make of braid?

Most are ok, but some don't like fixed spool reels no matter how you wind the line on. It's all in the casting and retrieve and nothing you can do to prevent it.

Fireline is ok as is PowerPro like Dave says. These are fused lines, but some woven ones are really bad.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just tried Dave and yes, it can be unpicked, just. Well, it looks fused.

Johno

Reaction score
The stuf iv got witch keeps tangling is some USA stuf off ebay Dyni braid or something in 26 lb breaking strain, thanks all 4 your advise i will have another go with it