Gazumped!

B

Bob Watson

Some good points Eddie. The Tees has several stretches with different controlling bodies. The Tees amalgamation was formed quite a while back now by the majority of clubs and seems to be quite successful. One or two clubs opted out of the amalgamation and are now regretting their actions I believe. I'd have to agree and say it's the way forward especially in these days of commercials and hardly any anglers on the rivers anyway.

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

I think local clubs getting together would be a good thing to do especially on the river scene, now that we can see which way things are likely to go in the future.

This would be a better way forwards than haveing to substantially increase licence fees, as there would be many indviduals who could not afford too great a hike in their club fees i.e. pensioners.

T

Terry D

Some people are just not willing to move with the times. Yes they can enjoy the benefits of reduced fees just like my own club (average ?25 with ?10 discount for attending 4 working parties). This is peanuts! Then take a look at a club like Christchurch. Yes ?140 a year membership is steep, but that's only 14 day tickets at some fisheries down here in the south. But 2500 members gives Christchurch approx ?350,000 income a year - and that's what's needed for leasing some strtches of the Avon etc. Fishing is not a rip-off as you can always go somewhere else, but fishing your local bit of prime river must be worth it, and if you really want it then you've got to pay for it. If you can't afford it then get together with some other clubs and work out a sensible arrangement so that you can all benefit.

C

Terry.
Perhaps you should get in touch with some of these clubs and ask them what percentage of the membership are oap's.
I can tell you now, the figures in some clubs is bluddie frightening.
So are you suggesting if they can't afford it tough luck? go somewhere else?

T

Tony Rocca

Some very good points Eddie, nice to read something from someone with positive ideas.

More clubs will lose the best bits of river if they dont do something, thats for sure.

T

The Monk

What all this Eddie?

"I had a trip planned in a few weeks, an overnighter staying at a travel lodge",

Your only coming from the bludi Wirral, you posh git, not exactly Pole to Pole, I can P**s that far (not Pole to Pole of course, anyway I like the Poles),

whats wrong with the old bivvy mate?

F

Fred Davis

Unfortunately all this hot air is too late Market forces have taken over and the river has been lost, to all older anglers this will seem like losing the crown jewels of the club card however times are indeed changing and unfortunately river sportis indeed in decline down south the rivers are slowly becoming the domain of the speciman hunter as untreated water chemicals are returned via treated sewage and in some cases untreated sewage affect the river quality in terms of affecting spawning cycles, in addition cormorants arleft to ravage free unsupervised rivers and canals whilst taking refuge in sites of scientific interest, the at least don't get into the realms of squabbling over ther fish, fortunately for our yougnsters there are the commercial fisheries which at least supervise and guard there fishstocks behind close doors at times, for rivers in the long run the bell tolls and time is being called because the damage being wreaked upon our waterways is slowly becoming a bit like global warming irreversable.

C

christian tyroll

a bit of subject but i just read Freds post and the bit to do with cormorants and i saw 9 on the thames whilst boating last saturday, it says it all really.........

W

Wolfman Woody

Had to look up my scrap book, I wrote a review of Warrington AA back in July 1995 after speaking with Frank Lythgoe. Your fees then were ?20 joining fee + ?20 for seniors, Ladies ?7 and Juniors ?5. 12,000 members @ say an averege of ?12 each (allowing for Ladies, OAPs and Juniors) = ?144,000.

Just as an aside, is there perhaps a little club out there who right now saying "What goes around comes around"? Just think that at one time Warrington were grabbing every bit of fishing they could and with ?144,000 in their pockets 10 years ago, perhaps they too denied the odd club of their waters. Can you state that this didn't happen?

I still say fishing is too cheap, but communication is the best way to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen in future.

E

EC

Brother Nicholas, you need to see the bigger picture, thats 2 days fishing and a few beers sandwiched in between, there's method in the madness matey!

T

The Monk

see what you mean mate,

I suppose in reality its not really worth putting the bivvy up for much less than a few month anyway!

Bob Hunt

Reaction score
Never posted on here before, so forgive me if I open a can of worms, I know this can be quite a delicate subject, I am an OAP on a very limited income, I don't smoke, I like the occasional drink and I love fishing but I think the cost of being a member of most clubs is far to cheap. The clubs never get the chance to build up enough funds to fight these take-over bids which can and will hit all members eventually. If I fish a commercial fishery once a week for a year it will cost me approx ?250-00 per year, compare this with being able fish 365 days a year for between ?25- ?100 per year. Bob

E

EC

It would take a brave clubsec or committee to put prices up by a serious amount Bob.

That said I feel that OAPs and juniors should always get concessions.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Spot on Bob.

In just over a years time I face the prospect of retirement. Yet I would willingly pay ?100 a year for a good club card.

You are right, coarse anglers generally are cheapskates.

E

EC

I don't think anglers are cheapskates when there are real quality waters available Ron, look how much some anglers pay for syndicates and the like, and those clubs with long waiting lists certainly dont cost thirty quid!

T

Tony Rocca

I think Rons right Eddie. I do a bit of bailiffing on the Trent where day tickets are ?2.50 from the local post office.

Went last week and of the 14 anglers fishing only 4 had bought a ticket. One said, "but I have been 3 times and no ones been round to check", stung em all for a fiver, the "on the bank price".

If they were not cheapskates I dont know who is.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
How come WAA didn't tie up the stretch on a long term lease?
The water was there before WAA came along, what have WAA done to prolong the lifespan of the fishery?

Bob Hunt

Reaction score
Ron, I wasn't implying that coarse anglers were cheapskates, surely Angling Assocations need to be in the position of paying the going rate in this day and age to combat the threat from take-overs. The past has gone we've now got to live in the real world like it or not.

C

Ian.
It wasn't up to W.A.A. to dictate how long the lease should run for.

You ask what have they done to prolong the lifespan of the fishery?
Can you expand on that please.

if the salmon have always been there as you say, why didn't C.A.A. bid for the stretch in the first instance?

You seem to have something against W.A.A. are you condoneing what C.A.A. have done?

Well lucky for you selfish pair who will willingly pay a lot extra for your fishing.
There are a great many oap's who are not in such a lucky position as yourselves.
I'm alright Jack, stuff you seems to be your attitude.