Mink wearing a collar?

John Frankland

Reaction score
Hullo
I was chubbing on the upper Thames on Saturday. As I stood motionless a mink wearing a collar walked to within two metres of me, looked at me, sniffed the air then walked away again. It's not the first time I have seen one on the river but I am curious about the collar. Are farmed mink fitted with collars? Is anybody aware of any radio-tracking research using mink?

John Frankland

Reaction score
Yeah could be. I'm no expert and these creatures are all very similar. The nagging thing is that I'm no duffer either; I do know quite a bit about these animals and I did get a good close look. That's why I'm curious and keen to know what others can tell me. The main things that are nagging are that what I saw had a very blunt snout and no white fur anywhere on its face, ears or body. As I said, I'm no expert and if this description could be a ferret then that's probably what it was. It certainly explains the collar and relative friendliness of the creature.

J

jason fisher

maybe on of the otters had put it on a mink to confuse the people following it.

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
i think it was a ferret,i used to hunt rabbets,and had 4 ferrets.you put a coller with asmall blep,so you can track them under ground.we used a detecter to know were they were,some times they would find a spy hole and out they come and go walkers,hope that helps

W

Wolfman Woody

I saw a black squirrel up a tree the other day and that had a collar around its neck.

John Frankland

Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I think it must have been a ferret; there was a small white lump attached to the collar. I was in the middle of nowhere and hadn't seen a soul all day but I do remember hearing a dog barking nearby when I saw the creature and this may have been with rabbiters.

coelacanth

Reaction score
As Polecats continue to return to former ranges in the UK there has been some radio-tracking done to study their movements, so it's possible this is what you saw. There's some evidence that where both Otters and Polecats are present, Mink are finding themselves squeezed out.