Best Reservoir Ledger Set-Up

James Ewbank

Reaction score
What would your ideal rig be for fishing a ledger on a mid-size reservoir. Rod and Reel suggestion too please.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Might want to post this on the coarse thread James. The lads there have probably got a lot more experience on this sort of thing. Mostly fly fishers on this bit.

R

Rasmus Keis

Keep it simple. A running ledger will do fine. A little trick is to make the bait float with some foam. A floating shrimp 3 feet off the bottom is irresisteble to most trout (in Denmark and Sweden that is - can't see why it shouldn't work in the UK).

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Get a Di 8 10 yards shooting head spliced to flattened mono. Tie a shortish leader on the end and use a big booby.

Chuck that out 40 metres and let it sink right to the bottom. Put your rod in a couple of rests, lay on the bank and go to sleep. You will be awakened by your reel screaming and a dirty great trout on the end.

But it's not really fly fishing is it?

B

Billy boy (B.A)

dunno Ron, quite a few so called''fly anglers '' out there who fish just like that...........

R

It is not cricket old chap - what?

B

Billy boy (B.A)

had one yesterday, killed a 14 lbs rainbow by fishing static booby and deep hooking fish,THEN proceeded to try and remove bloody fly from down fishes gullet while it was thrashing about on banks!
needless to say this chap is now well and truly in the ''ones to watch ''section of my little black book.
might i add that this guy is a regular on my lakes he should know that he has just broken three of my rules:
no.1 boobies
no.2 any angler fishing catch and release must unhook fish to be returned in water,and must under no circumstances allow fish to flap about on banks.
no.3no fish over 10lbs to be killed.(unless you are willing to pay 5 quid a pound for it).

as you can tell Ron i am quite royally miffed that a respected local angler with lots of years experience under his belt saw fit to behave in such a manner.

he also didn't seam to realise what he had done wrong and stood there arguing with me about the ethics of booby fishing,and the fact that i wouldn't let him keep the fish unless he stumped up 70 quid!! then the cheeky bugger demanded a photo of himself with his catch cos''i wouldn't let him take it home to show his kids''and he couldn't afford to pay for it!

o' and i forgot to mention that when i cleaned the fish and found his booby,which might i add he had not been able to remove cos it was to far back,it was also bloody barbed!! rules state sport fishing must be done with true bar bless hooks.

sometimes wonder whether some anglers get more enjoyment from rule bending and breaking than actually fishing and catching fish!!

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

It never ceases to amaze me, the only thing that people have to do is fish to the rules. But no that would be too easy wouldn't it?

B

Billy boy (B.A)

as i have said Baz ,unfortunatly some anglers get more enjoyment from breaking rules than actually catching fish etc....

I

Ian Cloke

Billy, why wasn't this rule breaker banned? If he had broken so many rules on the lakes I fish, he would have got the order of the boot (literally!).

B

Billy boy (B.A)

much better i think to pass his name on to all local fisheries,with a list of crimes he has committed and let the gossip mongers go to work on him,plus at this time of year any revenue i can collect is greatly needed.... if i was to ban all rule breakers i would be bankrupt in no time! no better me thinks to utterly embarrass this guy and let him hang his head in shame!

B

Billy boy (B.A)

p.s. he also got a right dressing down infront of his mates to! much to there amusment....

R

Billy I have seen people trying to unhook fish which are bouncing around in the net on a gravelly bank.

Boobies are fine on kill all you catch fisheries but not on C&R waters.

To get the best out of a 14lb rainbow you need to send it to the smoker. That will cost you about ?35.00.

My opinion of people who want trophy shots of big fish is that they must kill the fish, pay for it and then send it to the smoker. Cold smoked rainbow trout is excellent.

By the way whilst on the subject of C&R trout photography, there is a superb picture of a brown trout coming to the net on the front of "Todays Flyfisher" this month. That's the way to do it in my opinion.

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

I admire your approach to dealing with this bloke Bill.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What's a booby and why are they deemed a questionable practice?

R

A booby is a fly tied with two very bouyant ethafoam eyes at the front. I was first invented by Gordon Fraser who called it the Booby Nymph. Named because the two round eyes looked like boobs!!

Some of the latest patterns have been called - "Jordans".

There were bouyant flies created before the Booby Nymph. **** Walker invented a fish imitating pattern called a Rasputin.

The most common way of fishing these flies is to used a very fast sinking line with a very short leader at the end. Sometimes this leader is as short as 6 inches!

The booby pops up of course.

Any fly that is static in the water and is taken by the trout has a very good chance of being swallowed. This also happens with static buzzers by the way, especially those hung below a bung.

If you retrieve the fly you are in contact with it all the time and a take is either seen or felt, with the resultant strike embedding the hook in the mouth of the fish.

R

By the way Billy, if I ran a C&R water I would ban the bung as well!!

B

Billy boy (B.A)

Ed, hazon burn lakes Alnwick .
Baz,to right mate!ban em and they will just go to next fishery down road and create havoc there....no imbarrass em and next time they might think about what a plonker they may look if found out!
Ron,dont think the big,uns make very nice eating mate,much prefer a 1 1/2 lbr myself,but like you say smoking is the way to go,and smoking is what will be done with this one!
most anglers up here seam to prefer fishing bung with buzzers,cant really ban em cos most of my anglers use em! also ,yes trout may gorge on a static buzzer,but as most popular buzzers on my lakes appear to be of the smaller black variety.if the fish does swallow it its not going to do it any harm to cut the line and leave it in, which is impossible to do with a size6/8 boobie as if the hook is left in ,with all its accompanying polystyrene and gubbins fish will probably die before it can get rid of it?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Ron, thanks for that.I can see why it would be a problem.You might as well stick a bloody worm on and have done with it!