margin pike

glider

Reaction score
Recently i`ve joined a local club water and have been stopping off on the way home from work to do a bit of fish spotting etc and have come across several small pike in the margins even one that was under the ice in about a foot of water so how does this work when we`re all looking and fishing in deep holes any thoughts anyone?

L

Les Clark

Glider ,A lot of rivers & old pits,lakes ,have under the bankside ,worn away with time or due to the wash ,pike will lay tight into these hole`s and dart out to catch their prey ,it`s worth putting a bait tight to the margins ,the biggest that I have had doing this was 24lb plus .

glider

Reaction score
I know what your saying, but in this case they were just in the shallow water and i agree with you on fishing close in i always try and cover as much water as possible

Matt Drew

Reaction score
How small is small?Perhaps if they were bite size they were in the margins to avoid becoming dinner.

C

Chris Bishop

There's a theory I read somewhere that some go into shallow water to slow down their metabolism and go torpid.

J

jon helyer

What a lot of anglers don't realise is that shallow water warms up quicker, which is one reason why the margins are so productive in winter...

C

Chris Bishop

Glider said he saw them under the ice.

I've never seen this but I nearly always fish at least one rod along the margins, the near shelf is an obvious feature, not sure if this is due to water temp as this depends on a lot of other things like which way the wind's going etc.

I think it's more the fact it's such an obvious ambush point, not sure how much the sun warms the margins but it silouhettes bait fish.

I used to religiously fish the deeps, then I've caught fish doing daft things like fishing six feet deep in 20' of water.

I think with pike you have to either keep moving and cover as much water as you can, or keep trying different things if you're convinced they're there but you're not catching.

Deep water doesn't get colder slower, what happens is water is at its heaviest at 6 degrees C or something like that.

I sometimes think the carp anglers are far more clued up about this than we are, the ones I see regularly on one place I fish are very tuned into the weather, which way's the wind blowing, how will this affect the fish etc.

glider

Reaction score
the pike in question were about 3 or 4 lb, and i agree it`s probably because the shallow water heats up quicker. Don`t you just hate it when you follow a set of guide lines and some thing buggers it up and it all goes out the window LOL

J

jon helyer

This is spooky, I watched fight club last night, weirdest film I've ever seen!

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
No you gotta watch donnie darko, now that is wierd! Watched it with a mate and niether of us know what its about. Even tried to reaserch it on the internet but it seems no one knows whats going on!

Anyway, back to the pike.

Chris you are dead right about carp anglers, their knowledge is far in advance of other areas of the sport.

One carp saying you hear a lot, dont neglect the margins!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Aye that is a strange piece of work to be sure.

What's the thermoclime then?
Hmm... isn't google great.

Posted By: John Christie, Faculty, School of Chemistry, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia

'Most things expand, or get a little bigger, when they get warmer, and
contract, or get a little smaller when they get cooler. But water is very
special and unusual stuff. If you cool water down, it contracts until it
gets to 4 deg C (or 39 deg F), and then it starts to expand again. And, of
course it expands a lot at 0 deg C (or 32 deg F) when it turns to ice. That
is why ice floats on water. But it also means that freezing cold water at
about 33 deg F will rise to the top of very cold water at about 39 deg F.
But warm water at 70 deg F will float on top of cool water at 60 deg F.

So suppose that you have a lake in the summertime. All the warmer water
will be at the top and the cooler water will be at the bottom. When it
starts to cool down as winter comes on, it will stay that way till the
water gets really cold. Then the coldest water, which is freezing cold,
will be lighter than the not so cold water, and will want to come to the
top. So the whole lake will need to turn itself upside down!'

Cheers Prof John.