what makes a good boillie???

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
a question for all you home rollers of baits....how can i tell the difference between a good one or a bad one??? can its smell mask all manner of horrors??? is it a case of splitting one in half and looking at texture or ingredient contents??? do you home bait makers have a keen eye,an instinct for these things???
or is it just a case of using it and seing if it catches???

the reason i ask is,that i have just took delivery of a small quantity of home rolled baits via e-bay.admitedly i am only going to use them for my chub and barbel fishing but if anyone knows about home rolled baits its you carp fishing chappies.

baggie{boing boing}

Reaction score
making bait can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be, i can make a bait for a few quid or spend my hard earned big time and the result will be the same.bait catches more fisherman than fish.

F

Frothey

you'll never tell a good boilie by looking at it, a small amount of decent ingredients can mask all sort of horrors!

but like baggie says, bait catches more anglers than fish....

F

Frothey

i've got mags full of pictures of lots of people in various poses.

R

Rodney Wrestt

"you'll never tell a good boilie by looking at it, a small amount of decent ingredients can mask all sort of horrors!"

ohhhhh shit :eek:)

B

Big Rik

but you can tell if the composition is acceptable, if it crumbles well and doesn't appear stodgy, you can look, smell and taste for certain palatability, so in answer to the original question, I believe a knowledgeable bait maker should be able to tell if a bait is half decent, but that doesn't always mean that it will catch.

ian hewett

Reaction score
Get out and fish with it Nik and if you roll it yourself you will get much more satisfaction from catching. The big brand base mixes are all good but I know you can get round the cost with a bit of thought. I use active-8 and find it very agreeable on my waters good luck.

N

NottmDon

As usal Big Rik tells it the way it is and hes bang on with his theory.

I saw John Baker getting someone else to taste one of his boilies (John Bakers not daft).Munching a monster crab with salmon oil boilie would not whet my appetite but then again I am not a fish ;)

Like most things in life the more you make boilies then the better your instincts (or whatever) kick in and tell you if youre making a good un.

Carpers dont part with loads of dosh for ready mades because they have a brand name,they know they are,usually, buying a product thats tried and tested and will catch (theres no cast iron guarantee that they will cus if youre a crap angler you still wont catch).
Part of the fun of fishing with your home made baits in general is the satisfaction of making them and catching on them.I told my wife this after I tipped a container of lobster thermodore over the kitchen floor.....she wasn't convinced!

rigmaster

Reaction score
I see the BCUK boys have been at it again, the web site is almost completed. I see from there site www.bait-company.com that they have a huge selection of baits. i use the shrimp over Christmas and bagged 6 carp low to mid 20's in 9hrs. First time out with it a friend gave me a bag of 10mm to try, now my best friend!!!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i suppose the only real way to tell is by actually using the home rolled bait and see if it catches.i`d be interested to know if some big name bait company has ever purchased some so called top class home rolled baits via the internet/e-bay and actually studied its contents etc...???

C

Cakey

what makes a good boillie???................................................the bait and feed company

R

Rodney Wrestt

Is that right Mr Cakey baitfeed, or are you biased in any way? :eek:)

C

Cakey

Rodney I used to have all the gear and roll my own baits
house used to get stunk out then there was the clean up of pots and pans etc

now I pick up the phone ,tell them what I want and how I want it and a couple of days later its in my bait freezer

its so easy and I suppose its to easy but it suits me and I cant ever see me rolling a bait again.......................I hope