River Tove

catman

Reaction score
I am looking for MK chub and wondered what the Tove was like?

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
The Tove is part and parcel of Towcester & District A.C. waters.As you probably know the river is really a winter fishery with depths ranging from 18 ins to 4 feet hence the fish are usually on certain pegs which have a feature.
I don't think the fish are monsters but the odd 5 pounder was caught when I was a member. Ther are some long walks with only 3 or 4 accesses.
I think the rule is still in place that to join you must live within a 6 mile radius of Towcester.
Happy days

catman

Reaction score
MKAA do a ticket for the tove. Are there a lot of chub there?

Keith Robinson 2

Reaction score
Twenty odd years ago my son inlaw and I had sole access to 4 lakes (tench) and about 500 yds of The Tove which ran through the farm,we did on occasions fish for the chub
adopting a roving approach,and we did catch quite a few chub to about 3 lbs but it was not done seriously,we were more interested in Tench. We did see the odd fish or 2 which we thought might knock the 5 lb mark, which were big chub in those days. With out doubt over the last 10 yrs signal crayfish have become well established in the Gt.Ouse system which has provided a lot of fodder for all the larger species giving much bigger fish to date,if I remember correctly I'm sure
M.K.A.A. had some of the river at Castlethorpe.If you're in Bletchley anytime go to the tackle shop in Victoria street
ask for Brian he's a wealth of up to date local knowledge and a nice bloke with it
Happy days

F

Fred Bonney

Up until 5years agoI lived in Castlethorpe for 20 yearsand walked down to the river when I'd had enough of work or the commute home.

There are good chub,roach, perch& bream. A nice little river to roam in winter or find a deep hole.

Barrie Hicks 2

Reaction score
The MKAA stretchof the Tove is a cracking little river with chub to over 5lb. Roving and travelling light using simple tactics is the way to fish it. During the summer I pick out single fish from the various feature swims using freelined slugs. The rest of the season ledgered paste, bread or worm will do it. The river is generally quite shallow but if you can find one of the few swims with a deeper glide or hole (4-5') then you can sometimes take several chub or even a few bream which go to 7lb on bread or sweetcorn. Also there are good perch to well over2lb and some decent roach. Strangely I rarely see or catch small fish from this river although the dreaded crays can sometimes be a problem. Despite being a tributary of the Gt Ouse I am not aware of any barbel ever having been caught although some parts look suitable for them. The long walks tend to deter too many from fishing here but the wildlife along this stretch is fantastic. There are however no day tickets for this stretch, you have to be a member of MKAA.

F

Fred Bonney

Or, be a resident and fish below the bridge!

Stilton cheesefreelined on a big hook,got me the better chub.