beat pb at last

glider

Reaction score
my pb has stood since i was 15 and i`m now 42, ok i`ve not fished for about 22 years with any regularity and by no means a monster going to 15lb 4oz but not bad considering i`ve only started again in december.

J

jason fisher

well done that man, i'd have a beer to celebrate if i was you.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Get in there mate, nice one.
I've only got a few weeks left to do my pathetic 12lb pb, not for the lack of trying though, they just aint been playing!

J

jason fisher

so far this year i've done 6 sessions so far this year i aint had a bite, never mind a dropped run.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Same here Jason!

But this bit of rain and mild temps might change things, fingers crossed.

C

Chris Bishop

Thought this winter's been quite good up until the last couple of weeks, plenty of fish about.

glider

Reaction score
Thanks guys, quick question, has any one used the fox pop up balls and caught anything?

L

levelspiker

i`ve used them glider,but its cheaper to cut a cork in half and use that.!
well done with your pb mate,nothing wrong with a mid double,a decent fish by anyones standard.
steve,a 12lb pb isn`t pathetic mate,we all had to start somewhere!
it`s been hard in somerset this winter(and last),i had my best of the season so far today ,at 13lbs 5oz.

C

Chris Bishop

Corks or even a chunk of polystyrene works as well, if you look on the rigs page thing on here there's a poppernoster rig - works good twitched along some days.

Wire it into the mouth of the bait, through the gills with a baiting needle and tie it loose so it can come off when you hook into a fish.

J

jon helyer

Spoke to one of our members at the fish in I organised today, and he told me he hasn't had a double since 2004! So I'm not doing that badly then.....

C

Chris Bishop

You've just got to keep going through the lean spells, but learn to get it into perspective at the same time.

I could have sacked it after last season, which was probably my worst in a decade.

But you hit your second wind after a certain point when it does get really hard, because you know catching something half-decent's going to mean so much more.

Chris Hammond summed this up brilliantly when we were struggling somewhere a while ago.

"I'm not bothered mate, because I know I'm another blank nearer my next 20," he said.

Pike fishing's a long-term thing, with all the other pressures on the pike, the waters they live in and the pike angler.

Judge fish by the time and effort you put into catching them, coupled with the enjoyment you get out of it.

That way, you'll still be fishing and enjoying it years down the line.

J

jason fisher

lets face it the more time it takes you to catch one the more special she is when she's lying on the mat looking back at you thinking just give me a finger to chew on and i'l be happy.

L

Les Clark

Chris ,you are spot on ,I very nearly got to the point of jacking in the pikeing ,every trip was the same ,either a blank or a couple of very small jacks ,moveing from one water to another but much the same.
Now Ive had a couple of good results and I have new enthusiasim ,I`m not daft enough to think that my bit of luck will last but at least it`s a bit of a boost and those fish will put on a bit of weight for next season .

W

wyepike

My results are so crap this season on the somerset levels its like the pike have been exterminated from the waters. When I spend days on lives and deads without a run then I really do worry a bit about the pike population. It may be of course that I am not doing it right but I dont think so. Whether its weather, pressure, pollution, otters, food fish or lack of rain god knows. Like the others I am just hoping its comes good before the backend.

C

Chris Bishop

I'm almost certain tomorrow's going to be pants but I can't wait.

Been stuck in an office for days, looking forward to a tussle with the weather and sloping off somewhere on a boat where it's me against Mrs Pike.

L

levelspiker

i`ve noticed that last season,as this,was a very dry one with few floods.perhaps the pike can catch more natural food in these conditions thus don`t need to scavenge dead fish.

L

levelspiker

the worrying thing,is that we have a lot of eastern european bus drivers and other workers in somerset,and we all know what they do with the fish that they catch!