Paste - the ultimate margin bait!

catman

Reaction score
We all know what a succes boilies have been, but the smell of a boiled bait is never as attractive as the paste it was rolled out of. This makes me wonder why people who fish in the margins use boilies? Most big carp are unaware of the dangers of an odly shaped, highly attractive, sof bait? In a way this would mean that carp baits had gone full circle as this was the main big fish bait before hair rigs. Give paste a go - it really works!!!

F

Frothey

not really the smell, its the solubility of the other ingredients. and dont forget to add less flavour if not boiling.

why not use it at range?

catman

Reaction score
I have tried it and it can come off. Most of time it will stay on but it's not quite reliable enough to be able to chuck it 50 yards+. Yes I forgot to mention the solubility of the ingredients. This creates a larger area of attraction than standard boilies.

C

Cakey

no good here.............crays,roach,blah blah it really dont work !!!

F

Frothey

"This creates a larger area of attraction than standard boilies."

no, it just gets the attraction into the water quicker. the same as glugging the freebies. the texture has nothing to do with it then?

"Most of time it will stay on but it's not quite reliable enough to be able to chuck it 50 yards+."

amazing what you can do with a flask....

catman

Reaction score
There is a way of using paste with crays and nuisance fish present - boilie cage. If you are brave enough to try out this 'budgie-bell' contraption you can reap the benefits of paste without any worries. If you use the cage you can also use paste at longer distances. I have used the cage to great effect (it can be hard to get hold of though - best to buy on the web).

catman

Reaction score
I have found that carp prefer to munch on soft bait. When surface fishing last year I found that carp held on to dog biscuits a lot longer once they had been softened - it really made a big difference. Wot do ya mean when u said 'amazing what you can do with a flask...'?

catman

Reaction score
A wary carp will quite often take in a surface bait and spit it immediatly. I have found that with a softened bait, ordinarily wary fish will take in the bait and move off with it - often hooking themselves. Don't ask me why they prefer soft baits, they just do!

C

Cakey

peculiar carp you have there...........do they leave pellets until soft ?

S

Spoddy

no good here.............crays,roach,blah blah it really dont work !!!

i agree
same when you use meat

catman

Reaction score
I'm not saying they won't take pellets and other hard baits, they just seem to take softer ones far more confidently - believe me. It wasn't just an isolated incident - it has happened on several other waters. Maybe you should do some concious research on the subject. IF-YOU-USE-THE-BOILIE-CAGE-ROACH-AND-CRAYS-ARE-NOT-A-PROBLEM!!!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
You seem a bit of an expert mate, I think we are all lucky to have you on here!

C

Cakey

Im of the old school like to fish real baits not some thing with a lump of plastic round it ,so I would rather swap to tigers if I was getting crayed out

catman

Reaction score
I didn't discover this idea of soft baits being better. It has been on many web sites, magazines etc. I just tested it and found it to be true. A 29lb 2oz common cannot be wrong.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Hey catman, can you recommend anything that might attract crays, I'd like to catch a few when I'm in France next - for the pot like! I hear hemp is good?