One of those days

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Went to Bury Hill today to squeeze in a last go [this season] for the zander. Shouldn't really have gone as we are very busy at work and Mrs S has a week off so wasn't that pleased when I announced I was off fishing and not taking her somewhere.Even less pleased when I woke her up at 5 am !

Anyway...weather was a lot brighter than forecast and it was hard work but I did get a few fish. At 10 minutes to "clear off" time started packing up but left one rod in as I packed the other away hoping it would go and it did....a nice zander BUT because I was late I was in such a hurry to get it unhooked,back & pack up that I tried to nick the hook out with me fingers not me forceps. :eek: Yep....zander teeth are every bit as sharp as they look and I drove home pumping blood all over [first aid kit in other bag !]. Got in...hurrah....the knife I ordered to cut up my frozen deadbaits has arrived. Yep..you guessed it...another slash across the thumb to go with Mr Zanders. My thumb now looks like a hot cross bun.

So...I'm sat here with a very red and very soggy tissue round my very sore and very slashed thumb.20 minutes now and although its not that deep the booger will not stop bleeding.:mad:

Payback for bunking off fishing I guess but there is a lesson for me here

1. Dont poke about in zander or pikes mouths. Their teeth are very sharp.
2. Always carry a first aid kit of some sort.
3. Dont play with knives.

You can imagine how much sympathy I'm getting.:(

Ever had one of those days ?

Skippy

Last edited:

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Add

4. don't ever buy (or use) a mandolin for the kitchen.

with your luck, they'd be calling you Stumpy, not Skippy :D

PS what was the best?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
3 pike & 3 zander. Best a 6 and a half zed. Not the lump I was hoping for but a nice fish anyway and I'm more than happy with my results. I've had 14 zeds in 5 trips...which I dont think is bad for someone who hadn't seen one let alone caught one before mid-January.

Its finally stopped bleeding by the way.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Ever had one of those days ?
So many times. Omg so many times.
The best one was rushing to finish work so I could get fishing and put a chainsaw through my knee cap. Needed a bit more than a tissue to put that thing back together.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Ye-Owch ! Makes my thumb feel very insignificant.
Ironic really because I'll bet your thumb hurt more than my knee. I've cut myself on Pike teeth a few times (it's always the little jacks) and it stings like hell.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
First Aid lesson (for daft Aders):rolleyes:

When you get a cut, either side of it form "fiberous tissue", bit like a mesh on a net. The dead red blood corpasules (cells, not police type) known as "Platelets (not little baby plate)" get stuck in this fiberous tissue, get thicker and form a barrier, hence you bleeders stop (oops, you stop bleeding).

The enzime in predaters have an anti clotting agent which causes the platelets to go squishy and fiberous tissue not to stick.

If this happens just clamp any forceps either side of cut/bite and clamp shut.

A jagged cut/wound leaves less scars than a straight cut.

End of Daft Ader's lesson.

greeny1321

Reaction score
S-Kippy, I dont seem to have THAT much bad luck but I did once witness quite possibly the worst luck ever. My mate took his first ever cast with his new £15 "wonderlure" only to snag it up straight away, anyway he decided he would go in for it lol and forgot to take the brand new £200 phone that his Mrs had got him the day before out of his pocket, and he never did get his lure back.

Give me a bloody thumb anyday! :j

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Mark - I know what you mean about some cuts hurting worse than other - why only today I have had a nasty papercut from counting my money and needed the attention of a young nurse and a stiff brandy to cope with the pain:w:D

greeny1321

Reaction score
The same guy btw also a couple of years back when we were out just float fishing for whatever left another quite expensive phone in his open coat pocket whilst he climbed a tree to retrieve a £1 float that I had cast into it and told him not to bother trying to get it, but up he went and into the lake went his phone lol the phrase "you cant put nowt where there is nowt" comes to mind.

stikflote

Reaction score
next time use the protective trousers when using chainsaw ,it stop blade dead,

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
next time use the protective trousers when using chainsaw ,it stop blade dead,

Never mind Mark cutting through his kneecap with the chain saw.........Lets concentrate on the more serious things, like how do we stop greeny 1321s mate from losing his phone. :eek::eek::wh