Fires in your garden

Lord Paul

Reaction score
On Saturday I had to get rid of an old rabbit hutch and rather than take it to the tip I decided to burn it. IMO there's something great about a good fire in your garden, beer in one hand watching the flames go up.

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

I burn lots of garden rubbish and have smokey bonfires, I think the law is that you have to be 500 yds away from a main road, it used to be anyway.

B

Bob Watson

The "law" round here is, tell your neighbours to get the washing in, no tyres and share the copper ;-)

Lord Paul

Reaction score
It should be an English man's right to have a small fire in his garden. Providing you make sure there's no washing out and the smokes not toxic, then there's no harm.

Let's start national garden fire week - there no worse than the BBQ's all summer long.

Tim Albright

Reaction score
The law in question is the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (which overarches all local byelaws). I won't bore you with the anorak details, but you're allowed to have a bonfire if a) you're not causing a nuisance to your neighbours, and b) you're not in a smoke control area, commonly called a smokeless zone. I know, I know, I should get out more.....

W

Wolfman Woody

When we first moved to Lincolnshire 30 years ago, there was so much rubbish to get rid of I used to have fires every night at the bottom of the garden. Old fencing the previous owners had taken down and left, packing from the move etc. etc..

One day the posh peeps from next door said sarcasticly to the wife "You're husband likes a good fire in the garden, doesn't he?"

She repied "Well, I suppose it's the Gypsy blood in him. Seventh son of a seventh son and all."

We never saw them for another 6 months.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There is something theraputic about standing in front of a good garden bonfire giving it the ocassional poke with a thick stick - not sure what good the poking does but it just seems like the right thing to do.

Some of my best ideas have be born watching the last of the autumn leaves go up in smoke.

Note to self: must have a good 'burn' at the weekend ;-)

D

Danny Lancaster

Now come on, how many of you have tried the "Ray Mears" way of lighting your fires???

Either by using a "fiddle" or rubbing sticks??

I managed the rubbing sticks method but cant quite get to grips with the fiddle...requires a little more perci..per..perciv.......patience!

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

Iv'e lit a fire with a magnifying glass, dried grass and birch bark.
I would have thought the fiddle method would have been eaier than the rubbing sticks.
I must give it a go sometime.

A nice piece of green oak will keep the fire in all night

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Yes Peter poking the fire with a is a must - though like you I can see no benefit from this.

I just use paper and wood to start the fire- a little white spirit if there wood is damp.

D

Danny Lancaster

Try it Baz, its a bloody nightmare. Trying to keep everything stable while you work the bow is harder than it looks.