National fishing exam

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
Are you a good enough angler to pass the National Fishing Exam and earn your right for a rod licence? That's the headline-making question in this week's Angling Times.

This is an artical appearing in tommorrows AT what do you think good or bad idea.

E

EC

Shoite idea!

I know loads of great anglers who can barely write!

E

EC

Perhaps, but there's not a chance that the angling governing bodies have the ability to professionally administer such an exam.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
How many would even want to bother? Not mat I'd say, and where does that leave Angling then?

How many estimated anglers in this country these days, 4 million? 3 million? Whatever - having to pass and exam would drastically reduce this! Strength in numbers, I say! Difficult to pass a bill through parliament with the present numbers. However, reduce this figure - and wel, it don't bear thining about!

E

EC

I do actually believe that our 'governing bodies' know their own limitations Steve, and as such don't think they would dare to try and impose such an exam, administratively they know they would never cope!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I would say the 'idea' is in principal a good one and probably suggested for the right reasons but as you say in practise unfeasable and probably damaging.

The driving test doesn't stop incompetent numbskulls from attempting to ram you off the road does it.

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
Eddie from what I can gather it,s just a disscusion topic at the moment just wanted to see how it would be reacted to on here with such a broad spectrom of anglers all in one place.

W

Wolfman Woody

We've had the discussion on here many times.

It just wouldn't work.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
How could one exam cover all the different areas Coarse, Sea, Game not to mention the varied methods associated with each species.

A better idea is to teach people how to use the tackle they have better. A local tackle shop ran a coach trip to a local commercial fishery. Here they examine the way the tackled up played fish etc and gave advice. This is a better way teach them right and they will act right. Some of the local clubs also do similar sessions for there junior members.

We all don't have parents who fish to teach us the basics and with the current situation with regards to taking other peoples kids fishing as my dad use to I think this is the only way they will learn right.

C

Chairman BAZ (Angel of the North)

Here's a question for you to answer.
Out of the people that have posted on this thread so far, which is the one I would be most likely to fail and ban if I was the examiner?

T

Terry D

I'm glad there isn't one to play footy in the park as I'm useless at that!