Old father

Guy Baxendale 2

Reaction score
Great Article Dave. Your key observation was in the first sentence Old Father "never fails to surprise".

I look forward to meeting you at the fish-in.

All the best
Guy

P

paul williams 2

superb and open article.....wish i lived closer to the Thames!......well almost , cos i would av ta talk funny! ;)

Matty C

Reaction score
great artcile Dave.. I fish a subsidury (not sure if thats spelt right), or the Thames, however, I can have access to the Thames at Kingston.. although Ive never fished it yet, I have thought about it, but am somewat intimidated by its size.. if you have any knowledge of the thames at kingston, could I picks your brains on it perhaps.. ?

Cheers mate..

Matt

matt

Reaction score
Great piece Dave must of taken you ages. thanks for the effort.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Matty, I haven't fished it for 4 or 5 years but Canbury Gardens downstream of the bridge used to be one of the hot spots for bream and big roach, mainly on the feeder. Parking can be a pain in the butt and it does get crowded at weekends especially during the summer.
From the bridge upstream there's the Barge Walk good for roach, bream and dace. Walk up for a mile or two and you come to the Hampton Court stretch also well worth a try. I've had some nice barbel out of there in the past. Again parking can be a problem.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,

What a superb article and so very comprehensive too.

FM contribution at its very best.

Canbury Gardens used to be one of my old stamping grounds in my teens - but in those days it was a great 'seed' venue, particulaly on the opposite side of the river in the old tannery grounds.

D

Deecy ACA

Thanks gents appreciate the kind words.
Matty Canbury Gardens is still good as Frank has mentioned good Chub Bream and Carp too.You can park (I assume you drive) in the car park in Thameside off water Lane but you will have to pay.Best to have a look around before fishing. If you walk downstream to Stevens Eyot this is a good area.It is one of the few areas where matches are still held on this part of the river.Big Bream catches were made last year during the day.Don't worry about the size of the river.In good conditions the fish move around soo expect a bit of a wait but keep the faith they will arrive.Try two rods on different lines , one close in one down the middle to see what is going to produce.Try bread on at least one rod lots goes in by way of walkers feeding trhe water fowl.Upstream at Isleworth trotted flake accounts for Carp every winter same goes for Teddington.The Chub are really switched onto boilies fished in conjunction with a feeder filled with halibut pellet powder and a few small halibuts, as are the Bream. If you are going to try the next few days are likely to be good, warmer weather after a long cold snap.Like Frank says the feeder reigns supreme.If you do drive Staines by the bridge is good fishing too.
Peter hemp is still a terrific option on the Thames it sorts out the better Roach.

Matty C

Reaction score
cheers for the help Dave, very indepth answer..

Ill be going carping the next few sessions I get, so wont be getting down to kingston til towards the end of the season, or even early next season..

thanks again for the help

Matt

L

Laurie Harper

Wonderful article, Dave. I've always loved the middle Thames. You really never know what you'll catch next, the fish don't have names and the great angling history of the river is always an inspiration. The perch have been superb recently (up to last season's end, that is). I even had a 3 pound fish (immaculate - looked as if it had never seen a hook) in the Thames Championships last autumn. Thanks again.

Adam Crossan

Reaction score
my must say i been looking for months for info for the fishing and who runs the fishing on the thames now i got it all here in two days i am going on a recky. will let you know about pike and zandar (never had one befor) may even go back to barble fishing.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Good luck Adam but it is Zand<u>er </u>and Barb<u>el </u>.

W

Wolfman Woody

On the <u>T</u>hames.

If you put some detail on your profile as to whereabouts you are, more members might be able to help you.

C

Cakey

or my way

Me must say I been lookin' for months for info for the chuffin' fishin' and 'oo Radio Ones the bloomin' fishin' on the thames na I got it aw 'ere in Bo-le Of Glue days I am garn on a recky. will let ya kna abaht pike and zander (never 'ad wahn before) may even Scapa Fla Hammer and Tack ter barbel fishin'.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Adam, I am not picking on you butI have noticed a lot of posters here and elsewhere mispelling the names of fish and it is beginning to grate a bit.If you are going to try and catch a fish then the leastyoucan do is spell it's name correctly!

Now repeat after me

Barbel.....

Zander.....

W

Wolfman Woody

And Thames! It's a proper noun and begins wiv a capi'ol.

Just having a bit of fun mate so don't take it too seriously.

However, I know quite a bit of the Thames and who controls the stretches so if you say whereabouts you fish, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Jeff (Woody) Sec, Thames Valley AA, and Thames Fisheries Consultative Council member.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Well another newcommer bites the dust!

Wot the F=ck does it matter if he knows the effin Queens English...........if he likes fishing he came in to chat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Fair point Paul and it was not personal to Adam.As I said it 's just beginning toget on my t..ts a bit.Hopefully he will be back.