Barbel Weather At Last?

Reaction score
With all this lovely low pressure, rain, double figure daytime temps and mild nights, west/south-westerly wind etc it's got to be the best barbel window for a while?

Anyone else going for Bertie this weekend?

Mmmm the Lower Severn beckons...

fred hall

Reaction score
Judging by the latest Ribble reports the barbel haven't heard the good news yet.

Reaction score
Aw! Tony talk about barbel bubble bursting!

What have you heard that I missed? I can only get out at the weekend! Thought it was same all week?

Rob Swindells

Reaction score
great weather at the mo ! I'm out Thursday Friday and Saturday...........to take full advantage :)
Whats the weather doing after this weekend ?

T

Tony Rocca

May be same all week but Trent flows are up with water temps jumping to 7c from 5.4 on Sunday.
The sudden rise in flow is just as important as the temp.

Should be good all week but tomorrows the day.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Plenty went in on Sunday Jonny. I dont know how much difference it would make.I was talking to one of the owners of the big houses and he said he had not seen the river so low in all the time he had lived by the river.

Reaction score
Jonny, your welcome to some of our icy Welsh reservoir water, but you'll have to arrange collection!

It's the warm stuff falling from the sky that we're a bit stingey about!

Anyone got any tactics in mind for the weekend? I've decided to go with a tiny mesh (50p sized) of mini halibut pellets and the hook (10/12) topped with modest lump of meat or lobworm with well-glugged small source boilies as backup.

colin gilbert

Reaction score
Well i'm hoping that the weather, the temperature and the trent are playing ball this weekend, and the beards are having it large. Not a lot to ask for is it? Too many blanks does that to a guy!

T

Tony Rocca

They were avin it ****y, new pb for girlfriend 11.10.

I know how to treat a girl on valentines day :eek:)

N

NottmDon

Had a four hour session last night,not a sniff from barbel but the chub were up for it big time.Had to keep trying bigger baits to try put em off!
Every bait I tried (no matter how big) the chub went for it.
Eleven chub biggest to 4lb2oz.

Temperature went from 9.5 down to 5.5 by seven oclock but the wind chill factor made it very cold on the nose and finger tips lol!

Nice to see the fish back on the feed again though.
Absolutely teemed it down here but the rivers still at summer levels and very clear.Maybe the rain will flush it through and Barbus Barbus will feel like "havin it large" in a day or two?

Golden

Reaction score
Good to see a drop of warm south-westerly delivered rain at last, but does anyone think that the salt washed from the roads has a detrimental effect on the fishing? I see a lot of you keep their eye on the water temp but what about the quality? Does is have an effect?

Reaction score
Hi Golden,

I'm not an expert but in my experience on the Severn and Teme...

Salt can seriously effect the fishing for the first couple of days after a sudden change from freezing to high single night time temperatures especially if the change is coupled with significant rainfall.

Given that most of us had a modest flurry of showers when low pressure took over at the start of the week and last night saw a persistant and slow moving band of rain across most of the country, my guess is that salt will no longer be a significant factor

D

Deecy ACA

Despite the improved weather the Thames fish are not really playing ball, road salt ?lots of it went on the roads last weekend.Hoping to get out Friday or Saturday cant resist it.

N

NottmDon

Good point Deecy and one I hadnt considered,the gritters were out in earnest last weekend here too.

Golden

Reaction score
The local council put so much salt down around the M3/M25 corridor recently that it was piled up in the gutters. That lot is going into the rivers right now.
Maybe I should stop thinking about it and just fish...? That's one reason I stopped taking water temp. readings - it just put me off when it was 'too cold'

D

Deecy ACA

As I drove up the M40 today air temp was 9c in London , got to Uxbridge huge dirty cloud and then heavy rain , hail and sleet,temp dropped to 3c.Also noticed that horrible white salt residue on the windscreen so it appears there is still plenty of it around. Still going fishing though, albeit more philosophically than I might have done and with Chub in mind.

Golden

Reaction score
I watched that storm out of the office window Deecy. Not good. Didn't realise the temp. dropped so drastically, but then I'm not alloowed outside that much!
Maybe your idea of chubbing at the weekend is more sensible. That or a try for a perch maybe?