Hooks

W

Wolfman Woody

Dunno, but they do. Very popular in some sea fishing parts in Australia and America.

Supposed to be self-hooking.

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
The idea is that even if the fish engulfs the hook the point doesn?t pierce the fish till it turns or you strike, catching the fish in the scissors or front lip and most fish seem to hook them selves, I have used them on the beach and managed to get more fish out with them and up to now they've been cleanly hooked in the scissors, I have noticed that there making trout flies with them, how the purist game lads will take to them is debatable because it takes away the skill of knowing exactly the right time to lift into the fish.

P

Phil Heaton

These hooks were designed for commercial static set lines and long lines, where at low water baited hooks are left secured to the sea or estuary bed to be retrieved after high water. Due to their shape striking is not required to hook a fish, as a struggling fish will only impale itself tighter on the hooks bend.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Quite right Paul.

You can't get them out without harming the fish. I am told they are banned on many C&R waters in the USA.

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
Paul/Ron I can honestly say they are no more difficult to remove than standard barbed hooks, in fact most of the fish I catch at sea are returned except if the wife wants one for the pot, in fact when you see the damage to the fish in some of the commercial fisheries it makes me wonder if barbless hooks are such a good idea, in fact didn?t the RMC ban barbless hook on their fisheries.

C

Chris Bishop

I know people who use these for sea fishing as they reckon you can't deep hook a fish with them. Commercial long-liners use them for this reason, they can remove fish from a long line faster and get it back in the water quicker if it's hooked in the mouth as if fish swallow the hooks they have to cut the snoods and then replace them.

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
That?s what makes them work so well because the points turned in it doesn?t catch in the gullet, especially good for flatties which move over your bait and suck it down without the rod having even twitched, but when they realise something wrong or just move off, the hook comes back out of the gullet and catches them in the mouth (up till now).

And I suppose if you wanted to you could crush the barb and they would just pop out like barbless, the only difference is you have to turn the hook over slightly more to remove the beak

Steve Barrie

Reaction score
Benny the point is you don't have to cut the hooks, it's just another skill to learn which some are obviously are less able to grasp than others.

S

sash

You are not supposed to strike, the fish hook themselves, usually in the scissors and they are much easier to unhook. A mate has just been in New Zealand catching long-finned eels and found circle hooks far better than anything else.