Somerset pike

BIG JIM

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any half decent pike fishing rivers on or near the somerset levels ? I am not asking you for your secret swims , just a general idea of where the fishing is fairly productive. I dont get many chances to fish so want to make the most of the times i can get out !!!

Hope you can help

Jim

W

wyepike

Hope this does not come across as too rude or brutal, BUT, I dont really understand why anyone would ever ask a question like this. All you have to do is use your common sense by searching on Google etc, get some OS maps, get in your car and go exploring. Look for piky features on the maps, then put your boots on and walk. When you have found some fishy places maybe even if your lucky with pike anglers insitu, then go and buy the necessary club licenses and go fishing. No one unless they are a cretin will point you towards "good" places. Being realistic well known "good" places will be fished out. Or hard. So go and find your own. Its a lot more fun. Or give up piking and go carping on commercials if you want "easy" fishing.

L

levelspiker

decent pike fishing waters are getting rare in somerset,due to too many pike anglers(many of them muppets)chasing too few pike,so i doubt that you`ll get many replies regarding good pike waters.
as has been said,get an os map and find the pike.almost every river\drain\canal in somerset holds pike.
most club licences give details of the fish in their waters(pike included).
jon helyer is regional organisor for the pac somerset levels region,if you want to join our merry band of pike anglers,email him.
he posts on several predator threads,click on his name and email him your contact details.providing you are a responsible and competant pike angler,you will be made welcome.
my advice is to pick one water and stick to exploring it for a season.you`ll find areas that are good producers at various times of the season.when you find good areas,don`t hammer them every week and keep them to yourself and maybe one or two trusted angling buddies.you can then move on to your next chosen water and have the confidence to explore it,knowing that you have your first water to fall back on if you need a confidence boost.
tight lines and happy hunting

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Yep, that was a bit brutal.....

I know what you're trying to say though wyepike, it aint gonna be given to you on a plate.

If you join the Somerset PAC you will gain loads of friends willing to share info and it's cheap as chips.

Good luck Jim.

You beat me to it Pete.

;-]

fergal

Reaction score
im from ireland but i dont think ive ever heard better advicie than that. you cant get "real" tips off the net. you have to go out and get the expirience yourself. sure people can tell you a few land marks but there is no better advice than to put on the hiking boots

J

jon helyer

Jim, if you let me have your details, I'll add you to the mailing list for next year.....

Sound advice by everyone else, I'll just add that the levels in general seems to be going downhill, for a number of reasons.

BIG JIM

Reaction score
Not a very friendly answer to my question Wyepike , if you could be arsed to read my posting all i was asking for was a general idea of which areas to concentrate on. Being disabled makes it a bit hard to put my boot on and go wandering. Still never mind. Thanks to those of you who had something constructive to say.

B

Billy boy (B.A)

was there any need for that whypike? blokes obviously only trying to get a bit of info,its nasty cretinous pikers like you that belong in the dark ages. bet you still use 8" roach live-baits that you caught from an easy water and take with you to fish your favorite stretches?

i understand what you were trying to say but f***g hell there's got to be a better way of putting it than that? what about just ignoring his question and not replying if you didn't like his question?

no far to many high and mighty i am better than you pikers out there and i for one don't agree with that attitude.

W

wyepike

Oh dear, whats been stirred up here? The point I was making was to go and find your own fish. Its a lot more fun. The point about being disabled is valid but I still fail to see how it stops (unless you cant read or drive) looking at a map and going exploring. I can think of many waters holding pike where you can park next to the water or feature swim and within a few metres put rods in. That the spots may have been hammered is secondary. The fact is also that waters with easy access exist very close to Bristol or further afield within Glos and Somerset if you want to travel. If you look at the club sites you will see which have wheelchair platforms if thats what you want. And as to general cr...p about me and pikers? I am not going to comment on that.

C

Chris Bishop

Just e-mailed you mate, sorry but I hadn't read your post before.

L

levelspiker

if you are disabled(as i am)the taunton bridgwater canal is a reasonable pike water.
anywhere from its source in taunton,to its end,at the docks in bridgwater hold pike.
you won`t break any records,but there are plenty of small fish up to 6lbs or so,and a lesser number of double figure pike.anything over 14lbs is rare.
and thats the only water i am going to publicise !

W

wyepike

OK so following Petes good example heres mine. You want easy access?
- Bristol Docks
- Bristol Avon free stretches from Crews Hole up river
- River Kenn
- Gloucester Canal

All have pike in as do most running waters in the SW.

If you want advice and help then come along to a Bristol PAC meeting where someone will happily take you out for a sess somewhere to show you the ropes inc unhooking and pike care.

J

jon helyer

Can't say fairer than that chaps!

Seriously Jim, if you did join the PAC, your pike fishing would improve overnight...

S

sash

Must admit I'm a bit divided on this one......there really has been a major increase in similar (and even more direct) questions being asked on the internet in recent years and most get a similar response.

I personally wouldn't give out information on any waters unless I knew the guy in question and trusted him. In most cases such as this (and I'm not saying that you are one of them Big Jim) the angler concerned is after an easy route to success which I personally am not prepared to give anybody.

If the angler shows he is in for the long haul (by joining the PAC, by visiting venues and asking about them etc) then private emails do tend to come through offering help and advice.

BIG JIM

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice chaps .... finally ... lol

I will try a few of the venues mentioned and consider joining the PAC.

And just for the record i'm not a numpty !!!

I have been fishing for over 20 years but for Specimin carp. I thought i would try my hand at catching a few pike and see how i like it ...... i found that i do !!!

castapprentice

Reaction score
Jim,
The Kings Sedgemoor Drain is heaving with Pike, just look near any bridges and you will see them attacking prey fish.
Some days they will attack in groups driving small fry into the margins then coming up to get as many as possible into their mouths. I have caught pike on these occasions and had the fry fall out of their mouths still alive.
There are also some very big Pike in the River Parrott at Langport.
If I were mad about Pike fishing I would just fish these 2 venues if it has to be Somerset, also get talking to other pikers you meet on the bank. Every time I fish the K S Drain for roach tench ect Pike always attack fish im landing sometime during the day, so a tip I would give you is to groundbait an area for a few days, draw lots of fish in then fish it for pike as they will follow the prey fish.